“The baseball world starts looking in right now on Sonny Gray and this is what we’ve seen all night long. Strikeout after strikeout, for Gray. Well-placed fastballs, snapping curveballs and basically a mismatch right now between Gray and the Mariners’ lineup.” — Chris Welsh, at the start of the bottom of the seventh

Well, the eye’s of the baseball world must have spelled Gray’s demise because to start the seventh, Sonny Gray, who had no-hit the Mariners until that point, went walk, walk, flyout, three-run home run. Both the no-hitter and the lead gone in the blink of an eye. It was Gray’s 105th pitch of the game and his third trip through the lineup. The next hitter also singled and that was all she wrote for Sonny.

Final R H E
Cincinnati  Reds (67-79) 3 5 1
Seattle Mariners (60-86) 5 4 0
W: Gonzales (15-11) L: Gray (10-7) S: Bass (4)
FanGraphs Win Probability | Statcast | Box Score | Game Thread

THE GOOD

— Sonny Gray’s first six innings were some of the masterful frames I’ve seen a Red toss this year. He was nipping corners with his fastball and flummoxing hitters with his breaking stuff. Gray racked up strikeout after strikeout, untouchable and certainly unhittable. With his nine strikeouts, Gray now sits at 190 for the season, with three starts to do something no pair of Reds have ever done.

— Curt Casali put on a nice bit of situational hitting in the top of the third, singling through the shift and sending Jose Peraza to third with nobody out. After an Alex Blandino strikeout, Joey Votto doubled to put the Reds in the lead. Seems a good a time as any to point out the Reds batted only a single lefty against Marco Gonzalez despite his reverse splits. Oh well, glad the lefty was up at the right time then. Also, this:

— Phillip Ervin hit one of those home runs that could tightrope a clothesline without skipping a thread in the top of the fourth. Gonzalez’s pitch came in at the shoulders and about 400 feet later it cruised right over the centerfield fence. If you blinked, I wouldn’t blame you for wondering if Ervin had hit it with a golf driver rather than a bat.

THE BAD

— Sonny Gray’s seventh inning. Just very not good.

— Kyle Lewis. Nothing against him as a human or anything, but we Reds fans are sad. Can you please just stop hitting homers to break up no-hitters?

— The Mariners iced their lead in the bottom of the eighth with a pair of runs off of Kevin Gausman. Casali ended up bailing out Gausman by catching Kyle Seager stealing third after the Mariners’ third baseman doubled. The Reds have an interesting decision to make with Gausman for next season, as detailed by Matt Wilkes.

NOT SO RANDOM THOUGHTS

— For a second, I really thought I was going to get to write the no-hitter recap. The weight of responsibility had already begun to settle in the crick of my lower back that flares up when I get nervous about something. I was considering Googling Whitman or Shakespeare to add some gravity to the situation. Alas, poor Yorick, the bleeding drops of Red. I write instead on the headline deck, my team has fallen yet again.

— This stat is fun, but yet it is small consolation:

— Funny how throwing a near no-hitter will speed the game up. This West Coast special only lasted 2 hours and 59 minutes.

— Remember when we had this guy in our minor league system? Good times, good times.

UP NEXT

Reds at Mariners, 10:10 pm EST

Tyler Mahle (2-11, 4.94) vs. Justin Dunn (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

1. Eric B

For the second night in a row reds pitching gives up 4 hits in a losing effort. Also consecutively a no hitter is busted up by a September callup in his first and second game respectively. Kyle Lewis was underestimated and challenged by fastballs which on both occassions ended up center cut cookie style fresh out of the oven and Lewis ate them up.

So don’t pin this one on David Bell or even Jose Peraza, he hit and scored both nights. Bell looked to Derrick Johnson for advice after the 100th pitch and obviously no manager takes a guy out in the 7th inning of a no hitter with less than 110 pitches.
    If nothing else was learned tonight…. Don’t challenge Derick Lewis with a fastball early in the count.

BTW
    Did anyone else notice the look on Derrick Johnstons face as the reds exited the dugout? I couldn’t see his eyes but his facial expression said it all.

2. Mason Red

Don’t pay any attention to Trammel’s exploits especially with the haul this team received in that blockbuster of a deal….

3. Klugo

You can analyze all the batting metrics you want, but you need to look no further than Batting Average to see what has killed this team’s offense this season. Simple.

• RedsMonk65

Yes, score some runs, and help the pitchers out! Bullpen always get the blame in games like this, but if the offense would pick it up for once, that wouldn’t have been a problem. It’s dispiriting, night after night the same thing. Gray pitched a fabulous game, but gives up the lead in one fell swoop. Reds had plenty of opportunities before that to score more runs, and didn’t. Even so, at that point, it’s the offense’s job to put more runs on the board. Yes, the bullpen needs fixed for 2020, but we need productive batters who can hit and get on base–period!

• Ed

Agreed! The trade deadline rumor about a “controllable hitter” was scoffed at by C Trent at the Athletic- I dunno. That was exactly what we needed! Likely could have won this division this year with bigger bats, and fewer blowout losses on the shoulders of Wood and Bauer

4. Seat101

I woke up last night as the Mariners were batting in the fifth inning. Of course I stayed up to see what would happen. One of my brothers and my oldest son and I have a pact: we will contact the others if something of significance is happening in a Reds game. Had it made it to the eighth inning I would’ve awoken them.
    Instead I went back to bed.

I still do not understand why the rookies aren’t playing virtually every night. It’s as though Dusty Baker is managing the team again.

On September 1, I received 70 to 1 odds on a five dollar bet that the Mets and the Diamondbacks would be the wildcards for the National League. My excuse is that my bookie (my brother) would match my winnings in a donation to my son‘s Cub Scout troop.

Keep your fingers crossed.

That was an excellent recap, by the way Have a no-hitter come to fruition I think you could’ve worked in some sort of “… To sleep -per chance to dream…” In your recap.

5. Grand Salami

Great west coast recap. Thanks!

I’m at the point I get to seemingly every year. Watching the standings in reverse and hoping a loss moves them past another team in the draft. The AL has a boatload of tanking teams and even the Mariners are probably out of reach.

Catching the Angels, White Sox and Rockies could move them to about 8. Make the losing worth it!

• greenmtred

I would agree, but for the past number of years. Losing and high draft choices are, so far, begetting more losing and high draft choices. Maybe it’s time to follow the process instead of the product, except that the process seems to be equally maddening.

6. Jim Walker

Hey Wes, what do you think about a quote from “Charge of the Light Brigade” to open tonight’s game preview thread? Promise it was bouncing around in my mind before I read above you were Googling for no hitter leads.

7. Big Ed

It is getting rough, when a fast game takes 2:59 to play.

• Jim Walker

The game was extended by at least 10 minutes by an argument over whether or not it was over when Derek Dietrich struck out for the apparent 27th out but then reached first after the ball bounded crazily away from the home plate area. On the play which happened with the base loaded, the Reds final run had also scored.

The Mariners manager put on a performance almost worthy of David Bell including an encore appearance after he had been ejected and left the field.

FSO finally came up with a video of what had transpired on the play. Dietrich tried to check his swing on a breaking pitch into the dirt. The ball hit the ground, bounced off the Mariners catcher, struck the end of Dietrich’s bat and then careened wildly toward an area between the backstop and one of the dugouts.

Everybody momentarily just froze in place and turned eyes to the 3B for a ruling on whether Dietrich had swung. The 3B ump raised his fist indicating strike 3. Dietrich broke for 1st. The runner on 3rd broke for home. There was apparently an attempt on the force out of the Reds runner coming in from 3B (the camera angle had gone wide to show Dietrich running to 1B) the the ball then was relayed to 1B where Dietrich beat the play by half a step.

The umps determined the game was not over. The argument ensued. Even rules maven Chris Welch seemed uncertain. After the argument Joey Votto grounded out to end the game. Imagine if Votto had hit a salami or even a bases clearing double to give the Reds the lead.

8. Mark Moore

Somehow I knew this post would make me sad when I turned off the game after 4 innings and we were up 2-0. Still too many missed opportunities, even for tired guys this late in the season.

And I’ll say again, if it ends up being NYY vs. LAD, I won’t watch any of it. Heck, if the Stupid Cubs or the WLB’s end up playing NYY I won’t watch.

• VaRedsFan

We can root for the Astros and Twins….and maybe the Nats or ATL.

• Ed

In hoping the A’s or Indians magically make it into the playoffs… which seems right for me because I actually thought the Reds had a shot at the division

• Mark Moore

Stro’s, Twinkies, A’s … I’m good with all that. The Harper-less Nat’s, perhaps. Atlanta probably. Heck, even the Brewers (even if I do throw up a bit in the back of my mouth when Braun comes into the picture).

Just not the aforementioned four … never, never, NEVER!!!

• Ed

Hang on who are the WLBs? Sorry – I will follow you on the no cubs yanks dodgers path though

9. VaRedsFan

Are all MLB batters guess hitters to a certain degree…instead of see ball hit ball???

1st and 3rd…no outs. Blandino takes strike right down the middle, couldn’t be more center cut.
    2nd and 3rd…1 out. Suarez does the same thing.

• Mark Moore

Especially when a ball is coming in mid-90’s or faster, it’s a combination of skill, muscle memory, practice, timing, and a good guess. It just happens too darned fast!

10. redsfanhelpme

I am so happy that Dish and Sinclair (Fox Sports Ohio Owner) cant reach an agreement! I don’t have to watch this mess!

11. Ed

At least joey hit the ball to end the game. He normally takes strike three. A big improvement for joe. Reds have a losing culture. Three winning seasons in the last 19 yrs. The reds have sucked for two decades. They are a clueless organization. Pray for new owner our only real hope.