We’re at that point in the season at no one seems to be able to agree about which point in the season at which we are. Is it too early to make predictions? Is it too late to panic? Where are we, exactly?

I’ll tell you where we are: Here.

Starting Pitchers

Pitcher ERA WHIP IP SO W L
Tanner Roark 3.27 1.427 41 37 3 1
Kyle Hendricks 3.19 1.28 42.1 34 2 4

REDS

Tanner’s ERA is 15 and that’s all anyone has to say about that.

UPDATE: I actually do have more to say about that, and what I have to say is this: It’s not 15. It’s 3.27. I was using a daily projected lineup site instead of MLB.com and that’s what happens when you gamble, kids.

Thanks to Pete the Reader for correctly pointing out that I am, in fact, an idiot.

STUPID CUBS

Kyle Hendricks sounds like the name of a NASCAR driver. At first I assumed I was only thinking this because I’m currently reading a book by a journalist who spent a year traveling to NASCAR races and winds up spending pretty much the entire manuscript describing the various women he sees around the garages, but no, dude took a wrong turn in life and is incorrectly not a NASCAR driver.

Bullpen

The Cubs’ works usually, and the Reds’ works sometimes.

Starting Lineups

4. W Contreras (R) C
  5. K Schwarber (L) LF
  6. D Bote (R) 3B
  7. D Descalso (L) 2B
  8. A Almora (R) CF
  9. K Hendricks (R) P

(UPDATE TO THE UPDATE: Thanks to matthew The Reader for pointing out that I am an ever bigger idiot than either I or Pete originally thought, and letting me know the Stupid Cubs lineup was also incorrect. This is why I wasn’t asked to do game threads last year. I’m pretty sure somebody died and that’s why you have to Google your own crap when I’m in charge here.)

News and Notes

-Today on FB one of my friends asked me (and all of her other friends) what color her new roof should be. I considered it carefully and made my recommendation. Then I felt sad. Why should Heather be the only one benefiting from my wisdom and perception? Can I help you guys with something? Do you have any questions? Perhaps I can offer you parenting advice from my 42 years of parenting no babies and choosing Mother’s Day brunch as the optimum time to regale my godson of the tale of how I was banned from an entire Notre Dame male dorm for two weeks? Post them in the comments and I’ll see what I can do.

-Thom was gone for six games. Thom is now back. It’s Stupid Cubs Thom, too.

1. Pete

Love the vigor lady! I don’t have any questions but I sure hope you can continue the winning streak you’re on. The guys need a real successful homestand and we’re counting on you, please do not feel pressured.

OK, I do have a question: what in the heck is going on with the ERA of 15?

• Mary Beth Ellis

The Reds.
      That’s what’s going on with an ERA of 15.

2. Mary Beth Ellis

Oh wait never mind. I was looking at the daily lineup site and they got it kind of wrong, at least according to MLB.com.

• Pete

Well, best I can tell you look like a blonde. But hey, they do say blondes have more fun!

3. Seat101

The most important thing you need to know about roofs (rooves?) is you don’t want to come down with shingles. My friend Eve told me that joke. If you pitch a roof wrongly does it affect your ERA?

Thank you! I’m here all week tip the waitress, try the veal.

4. matthew hendley

J Heyward (L) RF
    K Bryant (R) 1B
    J Báez (R) SS
    W Contreras (R) C
    K Schwarber (L) LF
    D Bote (R) 3B
    D Descalso (L) 2B
    A Almora (R) CF
    K Hendricks (R) P

Actual Stupid Cubs lineup. Hope the Streak stays alive. Hope a lot of things. Expect…..well never mind that, but hoping for a win.

• Mary Beth Ellis

Oh awesome, that’s wrong too?

sigh

Thank you.

5. Pete

Hopefully tonight will start the next phase of the the team’s progression. The Reds started the season in a downward death spiral and now have settled into a semi-comfortable mediocrity. Time for the guys to make their move upward. Time for Joey Votto to get right and start doing what he does so well.

6. Eric the Red

Ugh. THOM! will spend all night saying “Cubbies” and regaling us with stories of his years with Harry. And gushing over Schwarber. We could probably turn this into a drinking game.

• Eric the Red

After 9 innings of THOM! doing a Cubs game, we might all wish we were dead.

7. Mary Beth Ellis

I would say that I should broadcast instead, but I would have hit the airwaves announcing that the Cubs pitcher was leading off and that Roark had an ERA which was accidentally inflated by 14.5

8. matthew hendley

There is good news on the Horizen. Urias has been placed on the restricted list due to DV so the reds will miss him.

• matthew hendley

Domestic Violence- Pushed his gf?wife? during an argument, in public.

• matthew hendley

Its a minimum of 7 days so he will def miss us, may miss much more.

9. matthew hendley

Strike zone looks offset to the LHBB side, consistent though so not that horrible of an issue.

10. matthew hendley

Thom’s right, secondary and tertiary effects. And all of this is a result of another overshift that was defeated by the bunt. Its now 2-0. How many more times must the reds suffer the overshift.

• Indy Red Man

Typical. 2 quick outs and get burned by the pitcher. Atleast Roark got Bryant. That had 5-0 written all over it. Now the Reds offense? Hendricks has nothing? I don’t see how he makes it? A good changeup but he has no velocity to begin with? I guess some of these guys are so slow that they’re below hitting speed and thats the niche they fill.

11. Roger Garrett

Three up and three down.Slow stuff with movement.Reds won’t touch this guy.

12. VaRedsFan

Knew when THOM! said “while the Cubs might not score this inning….with the pitcher up” …….what was going to happen.

13. Roger Garrett

Going to get ugly really quick tonight.Big league hitters vs our guys.I will check back later.

14. VaRedsFan

The guys need to go up there looking for offspeed…move up in the box….ADJUST!

• matthew hendley

But even if it is Roark Trying to get the fans Pizza 5K through 3. 1 Mistake. smh

• matthew hendley

Now that everyone has talked about a no hitter its supposed to have jinxed it right? Right?

I guess so, JOEY!!!! with the NO DOUBTER

15. Slicc50

The way this guy is mowing through them……it just might be.

16. WVRedlegs

Can you smell what The Rock is cooking?
    Maybe, but I do smell a no-hitter coming.

• Indy Red Man

That was a hit imo? The ball was hammered and it looked like it was coming out of the shadow and into the sunlight…hard for Iggy to see it that well?

• VaRedsFan

I thought it was a hit too. Hammered, but I’ve come to expect Iggy to come up with most of them.

17. Slicc50

Tanner hanging in there against a tough lineup. Come on offense!

18. WVRedlegs

Votto takes it deep to make the no hitter and shutout disappear.

19. VaRedsFan

No hitter/ shutout is history.
    Votto extends arms…pulls it in the air…good things happen.

20. VaRedsFan

Why did they have Winker positioned in Left center? No way Bryant should of had a double there?

21. Eric

…and in the stands…is a SEA of StupidBlue.

Folks…if ONLY during the StupidCubs games, could we at least TRY to fill the stands with red…PLEASE???

I’m in Raleigh/Durham; otherwise, I’d help.

22. Roger Garrett

Well looks like its still big league hitters vs our guys.Roark it appears did it with smoke and mirrors and the Reds are still in it but well.

23. Reddawg12

Is it just me, or do the Reds never seem to be able to come from behind? I don’t have any numbers to back this up, I just can’t remember any game this season where they made a comeback to take the lead and win a game.

24. VaRedsFan

2 defensive robberies in the field by the stupid Cubs

25. Scott Gennett

Roark definitely not a fixture for 2020. Assuming Wood won’t be either, rotation will be again a challenge after Castillo, Gray, Disco and Mahle.

26. renbutler

If replay can’t overturn that call, what good is it?

Good grief.

27. Indy Red Man

This offense tonite is why the game is dying. Nobody scores in soccer either, but everyone is atleast running around

• matthew hendley

The games is dying due to half the teams in the league being allowed to absolutely tank and not field competitive teams. Tonight is because Hendricks is a monster slowball pitcher

• BigRedMike

Why is the game dying due to something you call tanking?
        What 15 teams in MLB are tanking?

• matthew hendley

KC, CSW, DET, LAA, SEA, MIA, TOR, BAL, TEX, SF will start very soon, And ARZ are in some process of tanking. Fine, that’s 11. Half was a (slight) exaggeration. Regardless, they are teams that are deliberately not putting an effort to place the best team on the field.
        OAK, is always cheap, and CIN could be following them soon.

• BigRedMike

The following teams are nowhere near tanking. Do you even know what tanking means?
        Royals
        White Sox
        Angels
        Seattle
        Toronto
        Texas
        Giants

Marlins are just a different story
        Baltimore had to change their direction

What does putting the best team on the field mean? Playing Matt Kemp instead of Winker because he was in the All Star game.

Wish there was an option to ignore posters on this site

• matthew hendley

I think we found the only person in major league baseball fandom who actually believes that the Baltimore O’s have attempted to field a competive team.
        Who is the #5 starter for the Royals again? that they went out to get?
        How many outfielders will the Giants go through before the end of the season? or do you believe they will extend Madison Bumgarder.

Texas’s Rotation with Dallas K. sitting out their unsigned. Same for the Angels.
        Seattles own GM said they were ‘retooling’ at the beginning of the offseason Granted they had a string of good luck to start the season, but that’s gone now.
        If you are going to attempt to insult people on this site, then attempt to do so in a fashion that demonstrates that you actually might have an idea what you are talking about.

What direction is Miami going to….because if it isn’t rebuilding, or attempting to relocate the franchise they are doing a bad job.

Putting Kemp on the field was necessary to see if he could reproduce his april and may of last year. He couldn’t, so he’s gone.
        Really, Baltimore is attempting to contend…. that a good one

28. Indy Red Man

Senzel .217
    Joey .209
    Wink .220
    Puig .212
    DD .233
    Barnhart .168

Hard to believe? Season is more then 25% over already

29. CincyBorn23

This game has me feeling really discouraged. I’ve been holding out hope that the offense would eventually break out on a consistent basis against a team other than the Giants. But it seems pretty clear that they can’t hit good (decent?) pitching. The Cubs are in a different league and they don’t even have Rizzo playing. I think this 15 game stretch against quality opponents is going to put an end to any hopes of this team finishing above .500. I hate to be so negative, because I look forward to baseball all offseason, but I think I finally see things for what they really are now.

• Indy Red Man

Yep….Giants suck and they only went 4-3 against them. A’s were on a 1-8 streak I think and beat the Reds 2 of 3 with Khris Davis barely playing. Hit a ton of HRs in game 1 of the Cards series and then predictably got shutdown and lost the series.
      The pitching has been amazing, but their offense is just pathetic? They don’t walk? THey make 3 outs in 10-12 pitches or less regularly. They have to have the lowest obp in baseball?

30. matthew hendley

Just a reminder, without the Extreme shift that left open the bunt, this game would more then likely be tied. Granted cant let the pitcher actually hit, but if he does it with no one on base no one scored. When I saw the pitching matchup for tonight, I already knew the reds were losing this one, but I have seen tommrows matchup and I am confident in saying Sonny Gray is getting his first win tomorrow. Hendricks is a really good pitcher. Roark is a pitcher that sometimes does real good. That’s the difference

• matthew hendley

not a total loss, the reds are one k away from Pizza

• Indy Red Man

I think they said he had a 5.40 career era in gabp? Something like that. He’s not this good?

• matthew hendley

looked it up, that’s about right actually, got bashed around in 2018 as well. He is just on a hot streak, this assumedly will be his 3 CG. More then the AL ,all of the teams. He is good though, over all. This isn’t like being beaten by Roark (or equivalent).

• BigRedMike

The difference was the extreme shift. Not sure why teams shift, doesn’t seem to really work. Teams lose games each day due to an open bunt. Reds had 3 hits. Wonder if that had anything to do with losing the game.

• matthew hendley

Granted the hitting could also have been better. But Hendricks wouldn’t have pitched forever, and if the game was tied their could have been a chance. Oh well.

31. Roger Garrett

Guess Hendricks will finish it .Wonder if we could borrow him for the rest of the series.Not to pitch but to hit.Guy has 3 hits and knocked in 2 runs.

32. Indy Red Man

Truthfully this offense has been bad for a long time. They were middle of the road in years past with Joey and Scooter going off? I also always contended that their numbers were inflated. They’d be down 8-1 in the 5th with Homer or bad Arroyo or some other scrub and then rally in garbage time against their scrub relievers to lose 12-7. Turn around the next night and lose 3-1 against their A team.

33. matthew hendley

No complete game after all, too bad Maddon didn’t leave him in against Votto

34. Indy Red Man

Joey and Winker just rolling over all year long? Where are the oppo liners? They may get hot in the 2nd half and finish 78-84 or something, but this one was over out of the gate.

35. Roger Garrett

Never have said this before but this front office needs to hope some guys do better so they can unload them at the deadline.This team has no leadership and are just going through the motions.Trying to hit 8 run homers with nobody on base and being out of the race by mid May is just unexcusable.Time to go in to full blown Marlin/Astro rebuild mode.Protect Mahle,Disco,Castillo,Winker,Senzel and Suarez and get what you can for the rest.

• matthew hendley

isn’t that what we have been doing for the last 5 years?

• Roger Garrett

That’s what they said but we all know its just been a show.Nobody wants any of the Reds position players still after 5 years and that tells the story.

36. Chris Holbert

Might as well bring anyone doing anything at AA or AAA up and let them do what they can….can it be worse?

• Roger Garrett

Can’t do that.Have to worry about that extra year of team control in 2025.Besides everybody is two or three years away from the big leagues and they would have to log at least a couple calls up getting coffee and doughnuts when they do make it up.

37. Pete

I cn spare Nick Kirby the Recap tonight.

The Good Stuff: the pitching, Votto’s HR, VanMeter’s ph single

Negatives: Everything else

38. Chris Holbert

I was half kidding…I would think 2025 would be the least of the worries for the FO, but then again…if I do the math correctly, that will be around 540 more losses….

39. matthew hendley

Reds are going to walk and hit off of Darvish tomorrow, and Luis Castillo is on the mound Thursday. They will win the remaining 2, you heard it here first. (unless it doesn’t happen at which point I will deny I ever posted this)