In time to talk with the players at Redsfest.

Steve grew up in Cincinnati a die-hard fan of Sparky’s Big Red Machine. After 25 years living outside of Ohio, mostly in Ann Arbor, he returned to the Queen City in 2004. Contemporary Reds thrills: witnessing Jay Bruce’s 2010 homer and Homer Bailey’s 2013 no-hitter in person. The only place to find Steve’s thoughts of more than 280 characters about the Reds is Redleg Nation, although you can follow his tweets @spmancuso.

1. Maybe I haven’t paid close attention, but does this mean Billy Hatcher is gone?

2. Hatcher assigned to be minor league base running and OF coach. That’s the closest thing to letting someone go, without actually letting them go, as you get. Will Hatcher try to find a job with another major league team?

• I guess I’m as satisfied with this coaching staff as I could have been. At least the Reds were serious about putting together a quality group. It’s been a while since I believed they were actual serious about it, if that makes sense.

• Two things seem obvious to me about the coaching staff (caveat: view from the outside). One is the Reds must have opened the vault for the pitching and hitting coaches. Two is that David Bell has proven he can attract people to the Reds based on his vision for how the team should operate. At least based on what others are saying, Bell is a compelling guy.

3. But we are out of the running for Clayton Kershaw all is lost. Seriously though, would a trade for mike leake make sense. The Mariners seem to be retooling (and we all know what that leads too)

• With the Cards on the hook for part of his salary he wouldn’t be too expensive at $11 million a year, but it would depend on what the return from the Reds would have to be. You can probably count on him giving you a lot of innings, but he is probably on the wrong side of the age curve to expect anything more than an average SP performance (which is an improvement).

If the M’s just are trying to do a salary dump it might make sense

• If the Reds aren’t giving up too much in a deal, Leake could provide a lot of stability. I’d rather have him and his salary and prospect cost than resign Harvey for 2yrs/$million.

4. The Reds have done a really nice job with a complete makeover of the coaching staff and the beginnings of a culture of change.

The role for Nick Senzel and the level of commitment to Scooter Gennett and the SP changes for 2019 are now to be determined.

5. Personally I’m happy for Freddie. I think the role fits him well.

Mixed feelings about Hatcher, but didn’t want to see him at 3rd anymore.

6. This appears to be quite the interesting cobbling of a good staff. Here’s to hoping this leads to some sort of semi-kinda maybe sustained prosperity……. That’s as much optimism I can muster anymore

7. Game planning. Seems like a good idea to put together a plan ahead of time for a game, but I have not heard of this position before. Is this something new for the Reds?

8. Okay. Great. Now we need players. It’s open season and all I hear are crickets. Am I the only one checking here daily to see if the Reds do something…anything! It’s seeming more and more like the past three off-seasons: minor league contracts and ST invites.

• They haven’t even had the Winter Meetings yet. Calm down, Sparky.

• You’re not the only one, Klugo. I have to remind myself that the winter meetings are yet to come, and that it seems unlikely that they would have made such an apparently dramatic change in the managing/coaching staff unless they intended to change the roster significantly.

9. So Iggy is going to be coaching 1st base and pitching out the pen…….Nice!

10. I think we’re all checking daily for roster updates. This is not big news, but I like that Derek Johnson brought his bullpen coach from Milwaukee, and I’m intrigued by Pickler’s job description – game planning coach. To me that signals a more explicit commitment to analytics and a recognition that in game strategy can sometimes translate into wins and losses. If that’s what the Reds are thinking too then I’m encouraged. Now about those new pitchers…

11. Delino DeShields on this staff of David Bell’s is not an encouraging sign. That is the one glaring mis-step on this putting together a new coaching staff. Hatcher was a much better 1st base coach than he was a 3rd base coach. It is just dumbfounding to believe DeShields is going to be a part of this Reds new coaching staff. That was one decision that should have been made to severe ties with, not bring him back in an elevated capacity.
    We know how terrible most of the Reds players are at bunting, and DeShields has been the bunting coach. He messed up Billy Hamilton’s hitting and bunting in a huge way with his “private instruction” 3 off-seasons ago.
    The rest of the coaching staff looks good. But the hiring of DeShields leaves a lot to be desired. Terrible, terrible decision on this hire. It just doesn’t make much sense. I guess it goes back to Bell being a manager in the Reds farm system at the same time DeShields was managing a farm team. Ah, that Reds hiring trait of familiarity coming into play.
    I like Benevides on the staff, but as the bench coach, that is a bit of a head-scratcher too. A more experienced coach might have been better for a first time manager.
    Well, at least the staff is put together now. Let’s go get some roster additions. It’ll be very interesting to see who comes in and who is going out.

• Of course it could mean that the reds have a much higher opinion of DeShields capabilities then you. Many people have had their opportunity with Billy. Also nothing wrong with hiring someone your familiar with as a new hire. Bell may benefit from DeShieds knowledge of the players he has seen coming through the system.

• I’m not real concerned with DeShields as the first base coach. Maybe I just don’t understand what role the guy standing at 1B plays beyond telling someone good job when he gets to 1B. It seems to be the least important job on the staff, Hitting and Pitching coaches obviously are more important, 3B coach has some impact when waiving guys around or telling them to slide, and game planning sounds somewhat important. At 1B the player can see the play in front of him and has no reason to slide, diminishing the impact of the coach standing there. I am sure there is some value added, but it doesn’t seem to be as much as other position coaches.

A clean slate might be better, but maybe there are some redeeming qualities to DeShields that Bell likes. If it turns out he was required to stay by some front office mandate then it becomes an issue

• In theory the 1B coach is also supposed to be knowledgeable of the quirks of pitcher in regards to throw overs, base stealing opertunities etc. Prob not the main reasoning behind bringing him up though

• That makes sense, but the Reds aren’t really designed to be a base stealing team so that isn’t a huge benefit to them. After Perazza the only threat is Hamilton who shouldn’t have that many opportunities to get on base this year. Maybe Senzel gets some opportunities, but Votto, Gennett, Winker, Suarez, and Barnhart shouldn’t be running. Overall I don’t think DeShields has a huge impact either way unless he has some history with some of the young players.

I don’t know if it is a good or bad hire knowing that he is part of the old regime. I just am glad the manager, pitching and hitting coaches came from somewhere else

• The first base coach presumably reminds people not to get picked off. Not a job for everyone.

• If you need reminding of that, you probably shouldn’t be playing.

Does he remind them after every pitch or just when they first get there?

• The first base coach also needs to remind the players to not try and advance on fly balls with less than 2 outs. Agree, far more important than people here are letting on.

• Agreed, not a fan of Delino. He threw Stephenson under the bus hard when he managed Louisville. It was unfitting of a manager and uncalled for. The Reds are horrible bunters as well, if that’s what he brings I’d rather see Gapper out there at 1B.

• I think you will find two opinions on the Stephenson incident. Some will say it was uncalled for. Others, and probably a larger contingent, will say Stephenson wasn’t listening to the coaching staff and deserved to be called out for it. Even last year he was making comments that walks were just part of his game. Maybe he just doesn’t have the ability to be a pitcher at the MLB level, bit he has the arm talent and has shown flashes of what made him a 1st round pick and too 20 prospect at one time

• DeShields is my one concern on this staff as well, but not for the reasons you stated. I don’t think anyone ruined Billy but Billy himself, and I don’t think it is a bad idea or good idea to bring someone in from your organization. The question is is he better than other options. My issue with DeShields is that I have always seen him as a old school guy. Of course as first base coach and bunting coach that may not be a factor, perhaps the idea that he has known a lot of these players going though the system will be a benefit to Bell.

12. I think keeping freddy is a solid move. A Latino coach is probably a huge asset.A comfort bridge for all of our latin players. And Freddy sure should have a ton of baseball knowledge after all these many years.

13. Benavides could be a good chose as bench coach for a first year manager. He’s an experienced baseball guy with, what seems to be, a low-key, serious type personality.