Once again, the Cincinnati Reds have three finalists for the National League Gold Glove Award at their position…kinda.

For the fifth consecutive season, Billy Hamilton is a finalist for the Gold Glove Award in center field. Amazingly, Hamilton has never won the award. If he doesn’t win this year, I will take it as a personal affront.

For the third time in his career — and second year in a row — Joey Votto has been named one of the three finalists among first basemen. Votto, of course, won the award back in 2011.

A notable snub among Gold Glove finalists was Reds catcher Tucker Barnhart, who actually won the award last season. But another Red did make the cut:

Our old friend Adam Duvall, who spent four months with the Reds before being traded to the Atlanta bench, is a finalist in left field for the third time.

Here’s hoping Hamilton, Votto, and Duvall all hear their names called when the awards are announced on November 4.

Blame Chad for creating this mess.

Chad launched Redleg Nation in February 2005, and has been writing about the Reds ever since. His first book, “The Big 50: The Men and Moments That Made the Cincinnati Reds” is now available in bookstores and online, at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and wherever fine books are sold. You can also find Chad’s musings about the Cincinnati Reds in the pages of Cincinnati Magazine.

You can email Chad at chaddotson@redlegnation.com.

1. I do not see how Joey is gold glove caliber.

• I don’t get to see many games anymore, but from reading the comments on here I assumed he was playing horrible defense. On the other hand many comments were that he can’t hit either.

2. Holy Cow. Votto a candidate for a gold glove, belittled the legitimacy of this award.

• Joey does some things well, others not so well. He is good at picking up bad throws from the rest of the infield. And he suffers from playing next to one of the worst fielding 2nd basemen in Baseball.

Scooter hustles, but he also has had a sore throwing shoulder, which makes him an adventure on a lot of plays.

Inciarte will win in CF. Billy played for a last place team, and Inciarte hits a lot better than Billy.

3. Billy was mortal this year in center but still made some amazing plays. I actually thought Joey played well at first this year.

speaking of Duvall, any chance the reds will resign him next year? my wife says she wont go to another game unless he is playing. lol
    but seriously, the reds really started to heat up this summer when he started to hit and the offense struggled mightily when he was traded. he is the only red that I saw this year actually alter his approach at the plate with runners in scoring position.

• RISP BA .241, OBP .338, SLG .473

overall .195/.274/.365

Maybe he should alter his approach on every at bat

4. I watched both Inciarte and Hamilton play extensively last year. Inciarte makes playing centerfield look easy. He seems to never misjudge a flyball or throw wildly. But Inciarte does not make the spectacular rundowns Hamilton is known for.

5. Congratulations, again to Billy Hamilton and Joey Votto. Disappointed that Tucker Barnhart was not a finalist at catcher. I know some think Votto is not among the best first basemen in the league. I disagree, but I won’t argue that specific issue. But I will commend him for one aspect of his defense that I hope will influence his teammates. Votto subscribes to the theory that to improve as a baseball player (as in any endeavor) you should identify your greatest weaknesses and start by working on those areas. He has explicitly identified fielding and base running as his two weakest areas, and he has improved in both through good old fashioned hard work. Is he the best ever now? Of course not. But he is better than he was with the glove and on the bases. Given that defense was not a great strength of the 2018 Reds, I hope that many Reds will be working on their defense in the offseason, spring training and throughout the next season. Clearly Peraza, Gennett, Winker, Suarez, and the slightly improved Votto still have room for improvement. I’m hoping they take the Votto approach.

6. Rooting for Votto, Hamilton and Duvall. It would be very sweet if Duvall were to win, but the year Yelich had, it will be him. Yelich has won before, too. Duvall is more than likely going to be non-tendered by the Braves in a few weeks and would become a free agent. Being a 3 time finalist in LF should help him find a new job over the winter. I’d like to see him go to the LA Angels where he can play some RF, some 1B and help out at DH some until Ohtani is back. Pujols is going to have to play 1B and can’t be counted on as a full time defender.
    Votto said last winter he wanted to get back to playing GG caliber defense. He delivered.
    It is about time for BHam to win one. Five times nominated, zero wins. He is the Susan Lucci of MLB centerfielders. Even Lucci finally won an Emmy. Here’s hoping it is Billy’s time.

7. I like Billy Hamilton’s defense but I actually think he had a better case last year and the year before for winning than he does this year. I think both Cain and Inciarte are better CF. Sorry Chad.