Joe Girardi, who was the Reds’ top choice for manager according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, has withdrawn himself from consideration for the position. This is according to a tweet from Rosenthal at 5:34 p.m. Eastern time today.

The tweet said Girardi will remain with MLB Network for now, but that he still wants to manage in the future.

This presumably means that Brad Ausmus and David Bell are the two remaining finalists. In a subsequent tweet, Rosenthal called Bell the favorite now for the position, but pointed out that he is a candidate for the manager position with other teams.

Tom Mitsoff is a lifelong Reds fan who grew up in the Dayton suburb of Beavercreek, Ohio. He lived a teenage life atypical of most his age by prioritizing following the Reds. At one point in the 1970s and early 1980s, Tom kept complete scorecards on more than 1,000 consecutive Reds games. Now that adult life has forced him to move on from his beloved Southwest Ohio, he follows the Reds daily through MLB.TV and other online media sources, including Redleg Nation.

1. Fine then!

2. Can’t the Reds ever get good news? No Girardi, an injured Hunter Greene, an injured Senzel, a front office that can’t even agree to trade Harvey, etc. And this is all in the past two months…

3. I think we can all agree that this isn’t a huge loss. Girardi was bound to clash with young players and that’s the last thing this struggling ball club needs.

4. However or why ever Giraldi is out, that is good news to me. Any number of guys who have supposedly been “top choices” seem to have withdrawn from searches before on the cusp of somebody else being hired. We shouldn’t obsess about it. Just be glad that a guy who looked like a very possible poor fit isn’t getting the job.

5. My guess is he saw the pile of @#@$ that the organization is in and wanted no part of it. I want one of the guys from the Rays anyway as they know how to win with less than stellar talent.

6. I am still with Montoya or Meulens. It looking like Bell though.

7. Lets hope the Reds find their guy before the so called favorites run for the hills.Looks like 3 just became 2 and if Bell is being courted by others does that mean guys that didn’t make the cut now have made it.Sounds like we may have to just settle but I wouldn’t have Girardi in my final 3 to begin with.Old School guys,even though I am one of them,just don’t impress me much.Bunch of us to choose from anyway down at Wal Mart.No worries about Joe.Guy is good on MLB though.

8. Not that it really matters, but I’m skeptical of the truth of the claim Girardi was the Reds first choice before he withdrew.

If Reds are going in a different direction and told that to Girardi, that would create plenty of motivation from Girardi and elements in Reds front office to leak the “Girardi withdrew” narrative. It’s pretty common for people to be allowed to “withdraw” once they’re informed they didn’t get the job. Same way the Reds handled Barry Larkin.

If Girardi didn’t want the job, why would he go through the first round of interviews and come in for second round if he was uninterested in Reds job?

I have no trouble believing he was the first choice for some in the organization.

It’s all just guesswork. But there’s no reason to accept unattributed sources at face value now.

I bet we find out who the Reds new manager is once the NLCS is over, before the World Series starts.

• Couldn’t agree more. Girardi is saving face. Personally, he wasn’t my first choice anyway.

• Yes. Girardi was not getting the Reds manager job and was allowed to withdraw.

Not really disappointed. Probably not a good fit for the Reds.

9. Good news. Old school loses. I hope it’s Bell before he goes to the Blue Jays.

10. Girardi made $16 million over 4 years managing with the Yankees. Those numbers aren’t even close anymore to what new young managers make and he’s not taking a pay cut. No surprise here.

Managers are important. But, they aren’t THAT important. Lots of talent out that.

11. I wouldn’t mind if we ended up with muellens. The top two candidates are also under consideration with other clubs

12. One day after meeting with Castellini… “Thanks guys but I’m a hard no.”

13. In the meeting Bob C. probably told Girardi he likes to stop by the manager’s office before the game to talk strategy.

14. Not even a little bit sad. Search on.

15. @CupofCoffee…phenomenal comment. The truth of the Reds front office workings certainly can sting.

I have seen the narrative, here and elsewhere, that Bell would be a great compromise.

1) Sad commentary on the Reds. Period. Organizational alignment is a given now in MLB.
    Chad Dotson (of all people) has a sober perspective on his Twitter feed tonight (Friday).

2) How many assurances would Bell need to take the Reds job, given he is re-making the Giants organization?

If it is Bell, he will be tough to fire should he flounder, either from length of contract demanded (4 yrs? 5?) and/or his Dad working in the front office as an ally.

Let us hope his lack of managerial experience won’t doom Bell as it did Ausmus in DET.

• If the Reds can fire Tony Perez, approximately 30 games into the season, firing any other manager would not be a problem. While the Bell name is large in the Reds past, I think Perez outweighs them.

I think that maybe(pure speculation on my part) Girardi wanted the Reds to spend outlandishly on a couple of starters, Reds said nope, maybe 1, and they agreed to go their separate ways. Plus, my guess is that his salary demands were a bit high for the Reds’ taste, although it would certainly be more than he is making on the MLB network right now!

• My guess is Girardi removed himself from consideration when he found out he was not included in the second round of interviews. Being turned down by the Reds would have been an unnecessary blow to his ego.

16. Good news from my perspective. I have a glimmer of hope that we’re moving in the right direction. I have to believe there are a couple more names in the envelope should both Bell and Asmus move along. And none of those names are Riggleman.

17. I still think the “search” was just window dressing, they knew all along who the manager would be.

• The search was much too exhaustive, I believe, to have been no more than window dressing. No doubt different factions have favorites, but the decision doesn’t look like a foregone conclusion. Unless they end up hiring Riggleman.

18. Based on the work Bell is doing in SF, Bell’s resume looks more like a GM candidate than that of a manager. Given the opportunity, he might accept the manager’s job if he does not have a GM offer.

• Bell does have a nice wide range of experience. But he did manage in the Reds minor league system for several years and spent three years as the bench coach for the Cardinals. Those are direct stepping stones for being a major league manager.

19. I don’t doubt that we was the favorite of the old school face of the franchise group. When Girardi realized how big the disconnect is in the front office he withdrew.

• This is probably just as plausible as the possibility JG withdrew because he knew they were looking to go in a different direction.

I think he was a difficult fit at best and regardless of who saw this and got him out of the mix, it is best for all involved.

• It is best for all involved provided we don’t get another old school manager for the job.

20. According to sources Riggleman was told he was officially eliminated from consideration yesterday

21. I’m disappointed. I think the redlegs would play hard for Girardi. Honestly nobody else on the list excites me that much.
    2019 is going to be another “sorting” throw away year anyway. I say the reds should give a 1 year contract to somebody loyal to the franchise. I like Hatcher. Other names I was thinking about would be Eric Davis, Mario Soto, Tom Browning, Concepcion . Or maybe give Tony Perez a courtesy year as he was screwed the first time he was manager.
    Then in 2020 with the development of Trammel, Siri, and Senzel maybe we can get a bigger name. Maybe Larkin or even Maddon if he is available.

• @JReis…

I am definitely in the “stats friendly” camp around here, and I feel like there is much “throwing dirt on the grave” in this thread about Girardi not getting the Reds job.

In terms of who needed who, the Reds needed Girardi more than he needed the Reds job. Especially after the team went public with stating they wanted prior managerial experience.

Girardi will manage again, if he wants. He has “embraced” more analytics recently just like the other candidates have stated. Being on MLB Network is a great form of visibility for him.

Your point is well made about the Reds play needing cleaned up…in many areas.

If Bell gets the job, I could see where he is a “bridge” guy for a couple of years, to mold the young talent. Larkin takes over in 2021 or 2022, when the Cubs are re-tooling and the Brewers are re-building and the Reds window is open and path is easier. Bell then joins the family country club…I mean, the front office, to re-shape all organizational development.

Not the front office would state it that way, of course. We are in the era of Positive Momentum.

• Nostalgia is great, but hiring past players because of their performance as players is a horrible idea. I also don’t understand this play hard for the manager. How is Hatcher going to get them to play harder. They have plenty of motivation to play hard without manager even being involved. They need a manager that will hold them accountable and make good in game decisions. I don’t think a pep talk 162 times a year is going to alter the talent of the players or the desire to succeed

• 2019 will certainly be another year of sorting (I’m going to use a synonym for this word going forward), even if the Reds are significantly better than they were in 2018. 2020 may well be, too, because Trammel and others from the minors should be ready to join the team. But part of the development is going to have to include developing an effective “Reds’ Way” and implementing it on the field. For this reason, I don’t like the idea of a stop-gap manager at all. The new guy should be selected now with the idea that he will be here to see the turn-around (if it is not mythical) through to fruition and beyond.

22. Girardi had the largest payroll in baseball and managed for a team that, when it had a need, simply went out and filled that need. Oddly, even though the Yankees (and Red Sox and Cubs) have lopsided winning seasons, they still manage to come up with top prospects, Hmmmm. Like Joe Torre, I suspect Girardi is compleltely overrated. He can only manage for rich teams.

The Cincinnati market is small and shrinking. Girardi knew, left to his real abilities, he would not be able to make changes. It is the structure of the game that needs to change, more like football with true revenue sharing and transparent drafts, shorter season and longer playoffs with more teams, DH for all. Football is corrupt too (Superbowls and World Series are rigged these days to keep fans’ interest) but at least football knows how to entertain its fans.