The Reds infield will be well represented at the All-Star Game, with Scooter Gennett, Eugenio Suarez and Joey Votto selected for the second team. Gennett and Suarez will make their first appearance as All-Stars. This is Joey Votto’s sixth time being selected. Former Reds Shin-Soo Choo and Aroldis Chapman were also selected. The game is July 17 in Washington D.C.

Steve grew up in Cincinnati as a die-hard fan of Sparky’s Big Red Machine. After 25 years living outside of Ohio, mostly in Ann Arbor, he returned to the Queen City in 2004. He has resumed a first-person love affair with the Cincinnati Reds and is a season ticket holder at Great American Ball Park. The only place to find Steve’s thoughts of more than 140 characters is Redleg Nation. Follow his tweets @spmancuso.

1. I didn’t think all three would make it, but glad they did. I just hope Scooter is used as a pinch hitter and uses the rest of the time to rest the shoulder

2. That’s good news.

3. Congratulations to all 3. I was pleasantly surprised that Votto was selected, but happy that he made the team. But Suarez and Gennett were clear cut, and especially since this is the first All-Star game for both I’m really pleased that they were recognized.

4. Hopefully this will be the first of many for Geno, well deserved, congratulations!

5. Pleasantly surprised that all three are safely in, Votto a bit unexpectedly for me too. I had figured either Eugenio or Scooter would get in outright but that the other would end up in the last man run off.

6. I’m more surprised Iglesias didn’t make the cut as a reliever.

• Not saying anything new but it’s been obvious Iggy has not been as ‘close down’ in the last month as previously.

• His numbers really don’t stand out as being elite and without the low ERA and high save totals he isn’t going to get much attention. If he was putting up a sub 2 ERA and throwing 100 MPH regularly he would be in

7. Congratulations to all three. I was kind of hoping Scooter would get a chance to rest the shoulder, but I am sure he is glad to trade that for his first all star appearance.

8. One easy way to get Scooter’s shoulder some rest would be to give Dilson Herrera a few starts! Deserves the All-Star nod though, as does Geno. Votto deserves every accolade we can ever bestow upon him.

About Steve Mancuso

Steve grew up in Cincinnati as a die-hard fan of Sparky's Big Red Machine. After 25 years living outside of Ohio, mostly in Ann Arbor, he returned to the Queen City in 2004. He has resumed a first-person love affair with the Cincinnati Reds and is a season ticket holder at Great American Ball Park. The only place to find Steve's thoughts of more than 140 characters is Redleg Nation. Follow his tweets @spmancuso.

All-Star Game