The Chicago White Sox looked like a decent team for a good while tonight. They had mustered enough hitting and pitching to lead the Reds 3-1 heading into the bottom of the 8th. Eventually they played to form, both on the mound and in the field, coughing up the lead. Somehow, Chris Volstad (5.10 FIP) was allowed to face seven Reds batters in the 8th, trying to protect a 2-run lead. The White Sox threw the ball around apparently without much clue where to go with it. The scrappy Reds put together four runs and now have a 7-1 record in inter-league play.

This Reds win, combined with a Brewers loss (they’re trailing the Twins 5-4 right now), moves the Reds to within 11.5 games of first place. Anthony DeSclafani pitches for the Reds tomorrow night. Glory be.

Cincinnati Reds 5 (37-48) • Chicago White Sox 3 (29-55)

Box Score || Win % || Statcast Hitters Report || Statcast Pitchers Report

Luis Castillo had a nice start, working 6.2 innings, allowing six hits. He struck out six and walked none. Manager Jim Riggleman pulled Castillo with two outs, a runner on second and the leadoff hitter coming to the plate. Amir Garrett proceeded to give up a double and single to the next two hitters, allowing the White Sox to score two runs. Riggleman brought Jared Hughes in and Hughes struck out Matt Davidson to end the inning. The next inning, Hughes gave up his first home run of the year. Raisel Iglesias closed the game out in the ninth.

Scott Schebler hit James Shields’ first pitch, an 89-mph get-‘er-over fastball, 381 feet into the Reds bullpen. Though the Reds hit several balls hard, that’s all the run scoring they could muster while Shields was in the game through his 6.2 innings. Shields left with two runners on. The next reliever walked Tucker Barnhart to load the bases for Joey Votto with two outs. Votto worked the count to 3-0 then flew out to deep right center.

The Reds rallied for four runs in the decisive 8th. Scooter Gennett singled. Eugenio Suarez doubled. Brandon Dixon struck out but Jose Peraza walked to load the bases. Adam Duvall hit a sharp ground ball to first base that the White Sox misplayed all around, allowing a run to score. Billy Hamilton followed with a sacrifice fly, tying the game. Alex Blandino then delivered the big hit, doubling down the right field line, scoring the go-ahead and one more run.

Draft Pick Meet and Greet The Reds #1 pick Jonathan India will meet the media tomorrow afternoon. He’ll join Michael Siani (4th round) and RHP Michael Byrne (14th round). Siani is a centerfielder out of a Philadelphia high school. He was considered by some to be a first-round talent (Keith Law had him the #23 talent in the draft) who slipped to later because of concerns over whether he would sign. (Siani video) Byrne was the closer on India’s Univ. of Florida team and walked just 4 batters in 50.1 innings this season. Byrne was an All-American as a junior and won the award from the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association for being the best college reliever in the nation. (Byrne video)

Five Years Ago Tonight Tonight is the fifth anniversary of Homer Bailey’s no hitter at Great American Ball Park against the San Francisco Giants. Here’s the game thread, game recap and a first-person account. Bailey will pitch another rehab start for AAA-Louisville tomorrow night.

Hunter Greene Dominates The Dayton Dragons visited the Lake County Captains, a Cleveland affiliate, tonight and Hunter Greene started on the mound. He pitches 7 innings, allowing just two hits (both singles) and no walks. He struck out 10 batters. He was pulled after just 69 pitches. Our Nick Kirby was at the game sitting behind home plate, camera in hand. Check out his Twitter feed for video and other comments about Greene’s performance. Time to promote Greene to Daytona?

Hometown Boy Does Well White Sox centerfielder, 26-year-old Adam Engel grew up in the Cincinnati area. He singled and scored a run tonight.

Steve grew up in Cincinnati as a die-hard fan of Sparky’s Big Red Machine. After 25 years living outside of Ohio, mostly in Ann Arbor, he returned to the Queen City in 2004. He has resumed a first-person love affair with the Cincinnati Reds and is a season ticket holder at Great American Ball Park. The only place to find Steve’s thoughts of more than 140 characters is Redleg Nation. Follow his tweets @spmancuso.

1. With all the 8th inning craziness….its easy to overlook Peraza’s walk, but I think that was a big sign from him. He was down in the count and usually would get himself out rather then be patient and work the walk.

2. The Reds are HOT!

3. Iglesias with a nice dominant showcase inning for those ogling eyes of those Astros scouts. It is gaining steam according to newspaper scribes.
    A good win but not a good night for Joey V.

• It turns out that Garrett might not immediately turn into Andrew Miller Part 2 though? I agree with most everyone else though….a team like the Reds can’t afford a high priced closer and a 9th hitter making what Billy makes. Not when they need to spend the money for Scooter and possibly a few free agents.

4. On a sidenote, I think the home plate ump called a great game.

Go Reds!

5. I’m a big Avi Garcia fan since he helped me last year in fantasy baseball. Homered tonite (2-4) and has been red hot. He hit .330 (.885 ops) with 18 hrs last year. He’s 27. The White Sox are obviously struggling. I think the Reds could put together a package for him if they really wanted to. The guy can hit and might make the Reds lineup look a murderers row!

6. The Reds were 20 games under .500 on June 6th (21-41).

With a win tomorrow, almost exactly 1 month later, they can get to 10 games under. (38-48)

The Reds have had themselves a pretty good run of things of late. It’s crazy to think, given the way the season began, that this team has a legit shot at finishing at .500 or even (dare I say it) a little over.

7. Scooter gave an interview with his throwing shoulder wrapped in ice.

• Which reminds me that there were several comments pregame yesterday about what a dunce Riggleman was for not starting Gennett on Sunday.

There is usually a good reason, one that they may decide not to divulge, for some game-management decisions.

• I think one of the Wisconsin RLN followers said that the Milwaukee announcers were commenting on Scooter’s sidearm throwing these days, not what they saw when he was with the Brewers. I think the speculation about moving him to the OF may need to be put on hold until his shoulder heals or is fixed. Sidearm throws from the OF aren’t going to get it.

• Agreed. He had a bad throwing stretch in maybe late April, where I thought he was developing Steve Sax disease, and I hadn’t remembered him throwing side arm (or lower). He doesn’t do that when turning a double play, or at least he didn’t the last time I noticed.

Scouts for other teams are seeing the same thing. It may impact his trade value, as damaged goods, although I think his trade value in the off-season will pretty much be as high as it is now at mid-season this year. In other words, if they decide to trade him, they can do it in the off-season.

He hit the ball pretty hard yesterday, so I assume the day off helped.

• Since Scooter was sidelined earlier in the year with the shoulder issue, it looks like every throw he makes now is sidearmed. For every comment I’ve seen about moving him to the outfield, I’ve wanted to snark about him gunning down a runner at the plate with that sidearm throw.

8. Nice recap, Steve.

But, I do get a chuckle out of the “only X games back.” Not feeling that as realistic to consider.

Reds proving they are the overlords of bad AL teams…now 5-0 vs. KC, DET and CWS.

They were only 25% to win entering B8th, but as many have written here, bad teams find a way to lose. Nice to see it swing the other way, for a change.

And, Brewers gave up a grand slam for third straignt day, but Twins Francisco Rodney had one of his outings and the game is going to extra innings.

In poker terms, Reds are getting some cards and are on a rush. Ride it while it lasts.

• Oh, the X games back stuff is meant tongue firmly in cheek.

• Steve;
        The Pirates are down 10-1 after 4 in LA. Baby steps Steve, baby steps.

• Those baby steps could become stomps with the Reds continuing to play the big boys this month. The dang Birds have owned the Reds this season, but it’s time to get that nonsense in check and make a statement…a loud statement! I don’t want to see the Reds earn respect. I want to see the Reds DEMAND FEAR!

9. Again 16k. At the ballpark tonight! Not good enough enough reds fans!

• That’s tickets sold. Was actual attendance close to that? With the horrible weather early in the year sometimes the actual attendance was a fraction of the “announced” attendance.

10. This game just felt like one that the Reds were just destined to lose. Hitters were barreling up line drives all over the field but nothing was finding grass. When the Reds reach deep and pull out games like this with the pinch hitter, who’s been struggling to swing and missing when he did swing, stepping forward as the hitting star, you almost want to believe.

• Emphasis on the almost. I am there too.

• Agreed. Great to see Blandino get the big knock there with men on base. I realize it’s ‘not a skill’, but still good a young guy fighting for a spot in the long term plans have a successful result in a big spot.

11. INDY mentioned it right out of the chute…

Peraza goes down 1-2 in the 8th and comes back to work a walk. Young Jose Peraza is doing his absolute best imitation of a professional hitter to convince anyone who might be paying attention that he can actually be an effective hitter. Three more months of this…please!

• I want to give him to the end of the season to see what he can do.
      He is starting to win me over.

• He looks happier (subjective on my part I know). Maybe he feels like he doesn’t have to look over his shoulder every other day…??? And for anyone who saw the interview after the game on Sunday, while it doesn’t matter a bit to me if he does interviews in English or Spanish, kudos to him for working on his English, maybe taking a cue from Suarez(?) and doing the postgame interview with very little help from his translator. Not sure I’d be willing to do public interviews in Spanish if I lived in Mexico.

• I share your opinion. He’s never shown a ton of emotion on the field, but lately he has shown some fire. With success, comes confidence. I like what I see.

• When Blandino got that it you could see the emotion on Peraza’s face as he was approaching home plate. He seemed very stoic before. I like what I see too.

• Speaking of effervescing emotion, did anyone notice Blandino’s reaction going from 1B to 2B after smacking the heck out of the ball over the RF head and down the RF line? He was so happy and relieved, he literally didn’t know what to do with himself.

These are young men playing a kids game and living the dream. Kudos to every single one of them for whatever success they have.

12. I’ve not seen any figures released yet, but knowing that India, Siani and Byrne are all under contract is really good news. I’m sure that the delay caused by the Gators going deep into the playoffs was directly responsible for the perceived angst in getting all three prospects signed, but I really didn’t want to see a Houston type fiasco bite the Reds patootie when things were looking so positive on the field.

13. Big outing for Floro tonight, coming in late to bail out Hughes, who came in to bail out Garrett, who came in to bail out Castillo. The bullpen wasn’t pretty tonight, but they fond a way to be good enough.

Iggy was dominant in the spotlight tonight. If the Reds trade Iggy, they better come back loaded to the gills with quality, impact prospects.

• Garrett had the worst night of the bunch, following his outing agains Thames last thursday makes me think his leg isn’t 100% (but not bad enough to DL) or he’s just slumpin’

14. I know it’s a tall order to be overly positive when you’re 11 games under .500 but the best record in NL Central over past 10 games belongs to the Reds. Many teams to leap but just try to get within 9 games of Milwaukee by the ASB. We’re playing well. Keep it going.

15. So fun to watch the Reds playing good baseball for a long stretch.
    Seems like it has been forever.

16. I wish Riggleman wasn’t so quick to remove Winker from the game every time he starts.
    When was the last time Winker played a full 9 innings? Feels like by the 7th inning, he’s always double switched out of the game. Is his defense really that bad? I just think Winker is missing out on too many at bats between the outfield rotation/not starting every day, and with always being removed early from the game.

• As long as Riggleman is the manager, the Reds will lose out not playing Winker as a regular and keeping Lorenzen in the bullpen.

• I agree, thought the same thing last night when it happened. Of course the issue last night was that Winker had made the last out and Riggleman was probably hoping to get more out of Garrett and did not want to burn another pinch hitter, it almost came back to bite him. But you are right it seems that Winker loses at least 1 AB a game because of either a double switch or a defensive substitution. No excuse for a lot of those.

• I’ve just had it period with the double switching. Wish somebody would run the numbers about how many times the weakened area of the line up subsequently is exposed in a higher leveraged situation than the guy who was inserted to bat in the pitcher’s spot. Then there are the defensive exposures that also happen, i.e. a guy like Brandon Dixon in a corner OF spot for a Duvall or Schebler and can’t make a play they would have made.

I realized a couple of months ago that I’ve reached the point where I actually would prefer the DH over the double shifting versus just saying the NL might as well do the DH and be done with it because of the competitive disadvantage that has seemed to result with the NL not having it.

• Initially, the double switches by Riggleman were a refreshing change from the double switches by Price (which were complete lunacy), but the excessive use of double switches by Riggleman has become almost equally disturbing and it’s handicapping his options, which is counter-productive to the intent. Part of that issue is having Hamilton and Duvall in the starting lineup. If Hamilton and Duvall were relegated to utility or platoon roles with Winker and Schebler as full time starters, some, but not all, of the double switch issues would disappear. Another issue is Riggleman’s efforts to not ’embarrass’ Hamilton and Duvall by removing them from the OF rotation and maximizing their playing time even with the OF rotation. That’s an issue that needs to be addressed, even if Riggleman is getting an ‘unspoken message’ from management that Hamilton and Duvall should play.

• Winker and Schebler were both double switched out of the game last night before the Reds took the lead. The game winning hit by Blandino was from Schebler’s spot in the order. Earlier in the 8th Dixon struck out with the Reds trailing by 2 and runners at 2nd and 3rd with no outs.

The DS is simply a flawed as often as not.

• Agreed on your point about the DH. A few years ago I was completely against it, but I’ve changed my mind lately. I really enjoyed the recent series in Kansas City, not having to watch the pitcher bat and not having to watch the double switches.

17. Count me among the Peraza crow-eaters. I thought he was a mess in April, needing to go back at least a couple of levels to get his swing in order. His control of the strike zone is tons better than it was 10 weeks ago; he’s gotten several over the last couple of weeks that he would never have gotten before. (Nothing about hitting goes much beyond the Ted Williams adage: “Get a good pitch to hit.”) And Peraza’s recently been pretty steady defensively, too.

Votto looks like he needs a day off, which I expect to be on the Fourth, to give him two full days going into 3 day games at Wrigley. Votto has a .953 OPS in day games, and .819 at night, but he would face 2 lefties in Wrigley.

18. I never mind if Votto swings 3-0. He’s had a ton of success (.531/.937/1.057) swinging with that count. What I’m not fond of is him taking an inside-out, non-powerful, guided-swing approach. He needs to let it fly with full extension. His approach (any solid contact) would have been fine if there were less than 2 outs. In that situation (down 1 with 2 outs) either take, or swing away like you mean it.

19. Was able to tune back in just in time to see the bottom of the 8th magic. What fun!

And I’m with the rest of you who are cautiously optimistic about young Peraza. He’s showing us something different these days.

#freescooterASG

20. Hunter Green 10K , 0 R, 0 BB, 7 IP only 69 pitches

That guy is never going to make it as a SP

21. Votto will be fine. Got a bum call in his first at bat that totally changed the sequence, crushed a ball to right and got robbed on an acrobatic, athletic catch, and just missed a three run home run on the 3-0 pitch. A couple days of rest wouldn’t hurt, but he led the (strong) team in OPS in June. No worries there.

Garrett on the other hand has not looked good since getting hit in Atlanta. I wish he’d just gone on the 10 day DL. Right now I just hope he gets time to heal.

Nice win for the Reds!

22. All teams need contributions from all their players and tonight we get a walk from Peraza,a sac fly from Billy and the game winner from Blandino.Certainly the play at first and then at home was the dumb and dumber show which set up the win.Peraza tried to join the show by just barely making it to third on the sac fly so we tried to give it right back but hey it worked out.Just a lot of goofy plays last night or maybe it was the night of which team has the fewest brain cramps.That’s what I love about MLB.You play so many games and regardless you go right back out there in less then 24 hours and after the first pitch well the previous day is forgotten.It would be great if both teams visited their local little league the next chance they get and brush up on the basics of how to play the game.

• However, the Reds took advantage of the dumb and dumber show this time, somthing they haven’t always done this year. It was a game I thought they had lost so it was refreshing to see contributions from people who have struggled, Billy and Blandino in particular.

23. I’m not trying to be Debby Downer, but here’s the reason for my concern. This offense is playing very well right now. Basically, the same starters,(other than Cozart), played well last year also. Do the Reds trade some of those pieces? Scooter,Duvall,Hamilton? I could go along with trading Hamilton, at this point. But I could make a strong argument for keeping the other 2 though. Scooter should stay right where he is, and I think Duvall makes a great #4 OF. If they trade Scooter right now, for anyone, other than just a handful of middle inf., then they make this lineup worse. Just my opinion.

• As long as Peraza is playing well, although still I think SS could be upgraded, but what we need right now is a legit CF and Stating pitching.

24. Actually, keeping Hamilton would be ok with me. As long as he’s not a starter.

• Billy is getting too expensive to keep as a sub and he can’t hit enough to start. He needs to go. Scooter to me is a overachieving little guy that other teams wouldn’t pony up a ton to acquire. Also as a fan I want to see if a Red can a batting title. Are they really going to trade away a local boy & clubhouse favorite that’s leading the NL in hitting? I can’t see it?

• Is $4.6MM too expensive? It’s getting up there certainly, but Hamilton has skills and the ability to make positive contributions. He’s just not capable of starting. Hamilton is on track to produce 1.0-1.5 WAR. If he was utilized effectively and efficiently, that would probably double to 2.0-3.0 WAR. The Reds can certainly afford $5MM for a utility OF with extremely special and useful skills to impact a game. Why not approach him right now and try to sign him for $5MM next season with the understanding that he will probably not be starting many games, but will be given lots of opportunities to dramatically impact more games.

• Sounds like a good idea to me.

• He is making $4.6MM this year with one more year of arb to go. I don’t think he would take $5MM on a one year contract, especially when he’s told he won’t be starting. He should go through arbitration stands to make more than $5MM next year. And anything over $5MM to me seems too high of a price for the Reds to pay given the role that Hamilton would/should fit.

25. So…what if the winning continues and a playoff push is made in the second half….and Riggleman wins MOY and thus is subsequently handed the manager’s job for ’19 without a search…then what? Worst case scenario. I can’t get this out of my head.

• A lot of us disagree with the way Riggleman manages, but none of us, to my knowledge, has managed in MLB. There’s certainly much more to it than meets the eye. If the Reds were to continue to play well and challenge for the playoffs, it seems reasonable to ask why we would want Riggleman replaced? Winning is the point, isn’t it?

26. I am in the camp that believes the Reds don’t really need to make a trade at the deadline, except probably with Harvey, who at least needs to be approached about an extension.

If somebody knocks their socks off with an offer for Iglesias or Gennett, then I’d pull the trigger. If not, they have the option of trading those two in the off-season, or of just keeping them.

If I were another team, the Reds player I would be very interested in is Scott Schebler, who is having every bit the season that Christian Yelich is having. Schebler is .283/.357/.489; Yelich is .289/.364/.471.

Long term, the Reds probably shouldn’t have LH-hitting Schebler, Winker, and Gennett on the same team, with Votto (an OPS of .950 v. RH & .717 v. LH) in the same lineup. Given that they are going to keep Winker, you would have to think that either Schebler or Gennett will be traded in the off-season, and I think Schebler’s contract is more valuable, both to the Reds and to potential trading partners.

• “…shouldn’t have LH-hitting Schebler…”

Sometimes players just don’t fit into a preconceived mold. Schebler hits LH, no question, but Schebler’s platoon split doesn’t look like a typical LH hitter.

2017 v. RHP (.215/.313/.481/.794)
      2017 v. LHP (.276/.290/.493/.782)

2018 v. RHP (.251/.335/.485/.820)
      2018 v. LHP (.364/.417/.500/.917)

Career v. RHP (.244/.327/.476/.803)
      Career v. LHP (.282/.319/.461/.780)

Early in his MLB career (2015 & 2016), Schebler exhibited a severe platoon split, but he wasn’t playing regularly and when he was playing, he rarely faced LHP. When Schebler began playing regularly (2017), his overall performance improved dramatically, but his platoon split also disappeared entirely. Regular playing time has a way of improving things if a player has the innate ability.

27. Sometimes Lady Luck is sitting at your side. She was in the dugout for the Reds last night. Two pretty well pitched games until each team had to go to their bullpens. Lucky the Reds have the better bullpen this year. The Reds luck in that 8th inning was astonishing. The White Sox first baseman cleanly fields the ball and runs towards the first base bag. He panics about 3 feet from the bag and throws home to try to get the force out. He never comes close to touching the bag as he fakes out his Catcher. The Catcher fields the throw home thinking the first baseman touched the first base bag and tries to tag the runner instead of getting the force out at home. Scooter with a good slide to avoid the tag and scores. The Catcher, while fielding the throw and attempting the tag, had his left leg and shin guard a mere two inches from touching home plate negating the force out. The replay umps looked long and hard at it but couldn’t see the Catcher touching home plate. Very lucky for the Reds on that one that it couldn’t be overturned. Then the next play, the throw home gets cut off and they throw to third base to get a sliding Suarez. Suarez was called safe but it was close. Replay showed the third baseman missed Suarez’s leading leg and tagged the other leg an instant after Suarez reached third base. Suarez was safe, but would have been the third out. Replay did show that the run scored ahead of the action at third base so it was going to count regardless. Just a good stroke of luck there at third base as it then brings Blandino to the plate. More luck to follow. Blandino, who has had a tendency to leave the bat on his shoulder recently lined a shot down the right field line but it curved foul. As luck would have it, instead of the White Sox pitcher busting Blandino inside, Blandino gets another pitch up and outside and Blandino delivers a shot to the right field wall for a double and 2 RBI’s, the winning runs and margin. If I heard Jim Day correctly, Blandino was hitting in the same spot that Schebler was hitting earlier. And a struggling Blandino comes through big. A stroke of luck.
    It is nice to be good, but sometimes it is nice to just be lucky. Winning games you probably should lose is part of having luck on your side. It is refreshing to see Lady Luck sitting with the Reds more often these days. Putting games in the win column is what it is all about, no matter how you do it.

• Yes…..the end result saved you guys from a lot of whining from me:) Lorenzen is a better hitter then Dixon, Duvall, Billy, and Blandino imo….definitely didn’t want to see them lose without ML getting a shot there? Riggleman probably was going to use him if the game went extras or something so I’m sure that figured in.

• Lorenzen was warming up in the bullpen in the 8th inning so had they not taken the lead, I’m guessing he was going to pitch the 9th (or beyond that if it was a tie game).

28. Good win but its the same guys that have lost a lot of games.We must stay the course and keep pitching those young guys and get some starts for Bob and others.Harvey and Disco make big difference vs Homer and Finny at the top of the rotation by showing how to get it done.Offense still has the same holes and do we really need a closer?I have been drinking lots of Kool Aid but we are who we are even though its exciting to see our young starters giving us a chance almost every night.

29. Nats interested in Matt Harvey and Raisel Iglesias per Jon Heyman.

30. Jon Heyman via twitter…

“Nats have talked to the Reds. Matt Harvey and Raisel Iglesias are of interest to nats, who are seeking another starter. Multiple teams see Iglesias as possible starter.”

I’m not particularly enthused about the Nats interest, but the more interest and the earlier the interest will tend to drive up the eventual return if the Reds are so inclined.

• Robles is highly ranked but apparently on the DL, There is also a SS and a few pitchers in their top prospects.

31. I’d like to know more about this 22 yr old pitcher Enyel De Los Santos with the Phillies AAA? A 1.81 era and a .212 batting average allowed gets my attention! I’m sure they’d love to have Iggy!

32. The Reds will be hitting St. Louis at about just the right time next weekend. The Cards are limping into the all-start break. The GM is publicly questioning Dexter Fowler’s hustle and playing hard. Their defense is bad. Their offense is not good. Their bullpen is not good. Their star pitcher has another major injury. Their rotation is so-so without him.
    The Cards fan base is in turmoil. They don’t like the manager Matheny. They don’t like the GM. Calls for a complete tear down and rebuild are more common now. Taking 2 of 3 from St. Louis next weekend will be nice. But to go in there and sweep them before the all-star break would send the Cards fans into mayhem. If a sweep were to occur Allstate Insurance could do a couple of commercials in St. Louis over the all star break with their Mayhem character.
    “You could get a cut-rate defense and offense and not be protected from Mayhem, like me.” “Are you in good hands?”
    It does the heart good to see Cardinal fans in such despair. Can’t wait for that series next weekend. This whole upcoming road trip is going to be one big test. The Cubs aren’t exactly on fire, if the Reds can exploit the Indians middle relief, and then taking it to the limping Cards could make a successful road trip. It would be a couple of steps on the long road back, but steps forward. The team can grow and build upon this upcoming road trip. It comes at a very opportune time for the Reds.