With 81 games in the books, the Cincinnati Reds second half of the 2018 season starts tonight against the first place Milwaukee Brewers. Sal Romano will be making his 16th start of the season against the Brewers Chase Anderson.

LINEUPS

5. Eugenio Suarez (R) 3B
6. Jesse Winker (L) LF
7. Jose Peraza (R) SS
8. Sal Romano (L) P
9. Billy Hamilton (S) CF

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
A great article today from Steve Mancuso on the Pitching Revolution and the Reds.

“It’s becoming more an more evident throughout the league the sixth inning is a heck of a time. It’s really a tough one in the modern day for people to get through. We’ve experienced it many times. We don’t have that analytics department not to use it. They’ve been right on this third time through the lineup. We’ve gotten some teams in the sixth inning. But we’ve been particularly challenged in the sixth. It’s sinking into me the information that’s been put in my head. You see it happen. It’s hard to deny it.” – Jim Riggleman, manager, Cincinnati Reds

FIREWORKS FRIDAY
Be safe and have fun with all your 4th of July festivities this weekend and throughout the 4th of July week. Hopefully, the Reds bats will give us many additional fireworks to cheer for!

1. If we could switch Barnhart and Suarez in this lineup, I’d be a happy man.

(Okay, I’d still want Barnhart batting after Winker–but you get the idea. None of the Joey-Scooter-Suarez trio should bat later than 4th).

2. At the end of may if you would have told me Peraza would be up to 1.2 WAR for the season, and have an OPS of .850 for the month of June, I most certainly would not have believed you. I’ve defended the kid a lot, but I still didn’t think he’d pick up his game that much.

• I was at a reds dodgers game in August of 16 … Dodgers were leading the league in hitting and Brandon Finnegan had a no hitter through 5 and peraza hit a HR in the Reds bullpen and doubled down the RF line and played a great SS… Then he stunk last year. Finnegan was really good for 2 months in july.august of 2016.

Go figure.

3. I just fear with Peraza that we will always be talking about him turning the corner jus like we have with Billy for the last 5 years.He is a better hitter and has some pop so maybe he will turn the corner.For him its taking a walk and I would hope he thinks a little more about the situation when he hits.Its almost like he sees ball and swings and sometimes its ok to take a pitch.I am surprised the Reds just don’t give him the take sign in a spot like last night when Billy is at first just to make him aware that Billy does steal bases.

• I believe the Reds have addressed his plate discipline and walk rate. Peraza seemed to suddenly start taking pitches early in the count, irrespective of where the pitch was in the zone, often going down 0-2. It looks like a learning experience for Peraza, but he seems to be making the effort and has certainly started to see some positive results. The proof will be long term results, but getting his walk rate up to league average has been a very positive sign.

• I think he also needs to realize sometimes taking a marginal pitch is better than just trying to make contact. It just seems someone along the way told him striking out is the worst thing he can do.

• Romano is throwing all sliders. He can’t get guys with his fastball. Lorenzen needs to warm up after 4 innings and go 3 innings
      Not a good start for Romano….laboring.

• The only thing about letting Billy steal is that he doesnt!! He still didn’t go when Tucker came up. Somebody needs to get in superman’s ear because the only reason he is on the team is his speed. If he doesn’t want to go then sit him.

4. Romano above the belt and right down the middle….no sinking fastballs to be found? I’m tired of him. I’ve been tired of him. He shut down KC…like 97% of all the pitchers they’ve faced….big whoopity-zippitty do. That game will buy him another 8 starts with the Reds front brass though?

5. Romano needs to tighten down and stop this inning from getting away from him. Down 1-0 and Anderson is typically tough on the Reds.

6. Trying to get my daily fantasy lineup set for the 10 pm games, and every time I look up, the Brewers have a couple of guys on base. Playing with fire.

Romano really needs another (or a first) “out” pitch.

Old-School nailed it with the “if they lay off the slider, then what” post.

• Yeah…if Castillo can’t make it with 2 pitches then how is Romano supposed to? If you have Chris Sale’s slider or something completely dominant then maybe, but Romano is nowhere near that class. Its not that he can’t be decent, but he needs some work. Atleast he’s got outs with people on base tonite. The Reds were actually favored since Milw is playing shorthanded.

7. Anderson is pretty much unhittable tonight….

8. It’s pretty obvious the market for pitchers is correcting itself. Scouts and 30 teams can’t identify sure fire elite pitchers in the first round- either college level or high school.

Even worse is the ROI on the FA pitcher with injuries and $100 million + contracts.

How’s the Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn and Yu Darvish contracts looking? Everyone needs that SP with 200 innings. 30 starts and 15 wins . Problem is no one can predict who that rare durable productive guy is.

9. Bullpen alert….5 th inning….1 out …2 on…
    Where’s lorenzen?

10. Romano has 5 quality starts out of 16 starts. Tonite doesn’t look like his 6th? He better roll out a doubleplay pretty soon? The Reds are actually 8-8 in his starts due to 4.7 runs per game. Its a shame because if they had someone that stepped up to a mid 3’s era then they might have 11-12 wins in those starts.

11. What is Jim day talking about? Every CF gets to that ball. Jim day has now been coached by Bob Castellini s underlings

Memo to BOB: MLB centerfielders are some of the best athletes on the planet. Mike Trout….Andrew Benintendi. Lorenzo Cain… Tommy Phan….George Springer..and on and on and on

12. Big Sal is really living on the edge with all these baserunners. He’s lucky he hasn’t given up 6 runs by now.

13. Wow. Bases loaded 3-0 count. Not a bad thajob escapingt one.

14. Bats are silent

15. I dare anyone to compare Romano and Lorenzen and tell me that you want Romano with 3x the innings of Lorenzen? They both throw 2 pitches….Lorenzen just does it much much much much better!!! Not to mention Lorenzen would win you a few games with his bat as a starter. Romano is lucky to get a foul ball.

16. l
    Lorenzen takes care of 8,9,&1 like it should be done.

17. Okay, Lorenzen HAS to get more at-bats. Putting him in the rotation is one way to do that.

• I dont know if it’s the rotation or a super middle/ late inning reliever with flexibility….but…he is an underutilized special 3 way weapon who needs a much bigger role.

18. Indy- both you and I have mentioned Lorenzen as a unique 3 way player that is being underutilized.

Maybe that ends today.

• He didn’t even really connect on that HR vs the Cubs…..just overpowered the ball like Judge or Stanton in Yankee Stadium. He’d hit 20 as a starter in Gabp for sure if he stayed healthy. That could be their CF’er and he’s a right-handed power bat just like they need. Jim Day just said he takes flyballs all the time! Why the hell not?

• WAKE UP! This is the Reds. If they put him in the outfield then Winker and Schebler will sit more because Hamilton won’t.

19. Lorenzen plays long ball… The sixth inning strikes again.

20. Perfect pitch for Barnhart to get hit and he gets out of the way. I watch Rizzo and other players lean into pitches and our guys are doing a dance to get out of the way.

• Duvall with an 0-2 pitch and the bases loaded the other day? He had to really work to get out of the way?

21. Another reason I’ve been touting Lorenzen since 2015. No HRs allowed in 22 innings so far! He throws a heavy ball….compared him alot to Kevin Brown. I had season tickets in Arlington in the 90s and saw Brown a ton. Lorenzen doesn’t have that much natural sink but strong like Brown and could rack up innings and keeps the ball down. Aguilar didn’t miss by much, but he generally keeps the ball in the park.

22. Michael lorenzen just became the pitching equivalent of Scooter Gennett tonight.
    An impossible baseball player who just finds a way to be good and win.

Or he’s just that really good 12u player who does everything.

23. All those strikeouts they showed by Hader were out of the strike zone. Votto is making him pitch. Let’s see if everybody else does

24. Baseball is such a funny game. Hader can just throw 94-97 right past anyone and it looks like 115 mph! Castillo throws 96-97 and gets beat around like a drum?

25. Lorenzen back out there. Stretching him out?

26. Brewers are a shut down pitching staff tonight. Reds are going to have to tough out a win tonight.

27. Barnhart what are you doing?

28. Billy Hamilton showing why he’s not a SS any more.

29. Good gosh. That was the most boneheaded rundown play I’ve seen this year. Cost them a HUGE run. What was Barnhart thinking?

30. Omg. Tucker Barnhart with the mental tootblan of the year.

31. WHY DOESN’T TUCKER HAVE THAT BALL IN HIS THROWING HAND? WHY IS IT BURIED IN HIS MITT AS HE’S RUNNING THE GUY BACK TO THIRD?

My Knothole kids knew better than that.

32. Wow? Suarez didn’t run him back enough and then Tucker doesn’t throw the ball to Peraza? They’re lucky Billy caught the ball and made the tag at 2nd…..its not like he plays in the infield. Runners are not just piling up 2 at a base any longer. That hurt….prob finished any chance they had

33. Jim Day (who I like a lot) talking about what a great game manager Riggleman is.

Well, this is the sixth appearance by Lorenzen in 10 days. And, Riggleman has him go for a third inning tonight.

That rundown stuff was shambolic.

But, Riggleman was pushing his luck and it bit him.

34. We defensively tootblaned the Brewers’ tootblan.

35. Hader-Jeffress-Knebel game over

36. Why in the world do you pinch hit for Lorenzon with a guy batting just over 200. Predictably Duval Strikeout.

37. I have to give it to the Brewers. Anyone could’ve had Jeffress. He was pretty good with Milw and then Texas got him. He was bad in Texas then they got him back. Hader came from another organization. They’ve pieced together a monster and they don’t beat themselves. I’d almost like their team except for Braun.

38. Gotta get Duvall and Hamilton going.

39. I have more confidence with Lorenzen hitting than Duvall. Why leave Lorenzen in for 3 innings if you don’t let him bat?

40. Who didn’t see that coming with Jackson Stephens pitching with 2 on. Tucker having a really bad night as well. Can’t win ’em all.

• I was going to say the same thing, but it looked like a good pitch down in the strike zone. Just a good piece of hitting.

41. Still a large gap between us and the rest of the NL Central.

42. The Brewers are no fluke. They’ve put together a really good team, and a great bullpen.

43. What the heck happened???

I saw them taking Crockett out and started looking at something on my computer, thinking I’d look up and see the Reds batting in the bottom of the 9th and see if they could scrape 2 runs across to tie it up.

Instead it’s 8-1 Brewers????? HOW?

• Crockett got two outs then gives up two single,s the second a weak ground ball. Instead of bringing in a top reliever to keep the score 3-1, Riggleman brings in Jackson Stephens who gives up everything. 8-1.

44. The most important thing is to have all the best relievers rested for the next game. That’s the most important thing in EVERY game the Reds trail. If it’s tied or the Reds are ahead, go ahead and use them all.

45. Off topic but I got my SI magazine yesterday and it’s a “where are they now?” issue. There’s an excellent article on Johnny Bench including mentioning his HR in game 5 of the playoffs that tied the game in the 9th against Pittsburgh. Of course the Reds went on to win the game on a wild pitch. JB’s mom asked him to hit a homer for her when he was on deck and he did. I was 10 and when he hit the HR I jumped off the sofa and hit the light that hung from the ceiling in the house that I grew up in. It caused that light to hang slightly crooked until my parents finally replaced it around 20 years later. It was known as the “Johnny Bench” light. Great memories.