Last night, the Reds won a series at Dodger Stadium for the first time since 2011. This afternoon, this juggernaut of a team will go for a four game series sweep. First pitch is at 4:10 ET.

Starting Pitchers

Pitcher IP ERA xFIP K% BB%
Luis Castillo 40.1 6.87 3.85 21.2% 8.4%
Rich Hill 19.0 7.11 4.52 24.1% 10.3%

It’s not a stretch to say Luis Castillo has struggled early this season. But what fans should remember is that while he had an incredible rookie year, he’s still pitched only 130 innings in the big leagues. And he is starting to turn it around. In his last two starts, Castillo has given up just two earned runs each while striking out seven. He’s also walked only one batter in each of his last two starts, an improvement from a couple of starts in April where he walked three or four batters.

After two very good seasons in 2016 and 2017, Rich Hill’s numbers look like he hasn’t started 2018 on a good note. But in reality, the Arizona Diamondbacks just own him this year. In a weird anomaly, he has faced two teams twice. Hill faced the Giants in back-to-back appearances and the Diamondbacks at the beginning of April. He came off the DL earlier this week to face the Diamondbacks again and gave up five runs in four innings. He has given up 15 runs and six home runs in 19 innings, but 12 runs and five homers came against Arizona.

The Reds haven’t quite been able to figure out Hill, albeit in limited at-bats.

reds vs rich hill

Lineups

The lineups can be found here.

News and Notes

-After skipping a start to keep his innings down, top pitching prospect Hunter Greene started last night in Dayton and pitched very well.

-It’s fun when both the offense and the pitching are good at the same time. This trend should continue.

Final Thoughts

Everything is always better when the Reds are winning. As I’m sure most fans who read Redleg Nation are, I’m the type of person who will watch Reds baseball even when the team is losing. But I think we can all agree it’s much more enjoyable to watch wins than losses.

Finally, , Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there!

1. Off on a tangent here, a slight you might say.

Yesterday Rosencrantz and Brenneman were nothing but fanboys during the game. Rather than talk about the game or the Reds players or even players on other teams, they talked about famous people they knew. /rant

2. Looks like Winker, Scooter, and Barnhart are all out of the lineup today. Hope we can mount enough offense to back Castillo to a win.

• If Scooter can’t hit a HR in his 5th straight game, he should sit. Accountability rules!

3. Ashley, you have authored all four game threads against the Dodgers this weekend. If the Reds win again today (and I think they have an excellet opportunity), I am hold you personally accountable since I staunchly believe in personal accountability! Either way, I really enjoyed the quality of your game thread posts against the Dodgers.

4. Starting lineup…

1. Jose Peraza (R) SS
    2. Alex Blandino (R) 2B
    3. Joey Votto (L) 1B
    4. Eugenio Suarez (R) 3B
    5. Adam Duvall (R) LF
    6. Scott Schebler (L) RF
    7. Tony Cruz (R) C
    8. Luis Castillo (R) P
    9. Billy Hamilton (S) CF

Looks like Riggleman is loading up against the LHP Hill.

5. I like Blandino getting a shot at the top of the lineup, but I do not like Peraza hitting directly behind Hamilton. Their strengths do not complement each other well.

That’s probably the best defensive lineup the Reds can field right now and what a bench at Riggleman’s disposal today!

• With the obvious exception of catcher…

• Actually don’t mind it. Peraza puts the ball in play and doesn’t strikeout much. Of course Billy has to get on first or it’s just a mute point.

6. Definitely in the “lost opportunity” column

7. I can’t remember the last time the Reds had a legitimate 25 man roster with a deep credible bench and bullpen. When Lorenzen returns and Stephens goes back to AAA, the pitching staff will be there with the unique issues of Bailey and Harvey.

The next step is a solid 5 man rotation and a CF outfield anchor.

Blandino is a nice infield addition .

8. Pathetic atbat by Duvall….you just can’t get smoked by a 90 mph straight fastball?

Bigger question….the pen looks amazing right now. Do they now play for next year and keep the older guys (Hughes and Hernandez) and the potentially expensive guy in Iggy? Scooter is a tough one too. Hometown guy and clubhouse favorite…hard to move him but is next year the year? If not then he probably needs to go!

• The pen does look good and will get better with Lorenzen returning.Don’t know if next year is the year but these guys will be sought after at the deadline by somebody especially Iggy.Guess we wait till the deadline and see what teams will give up.

9. Watching Duvall strike out with the bases loaded — it really makes me question that whole “lineups don’t really matter very much” argument. I’m wiling to accept they don’t matter very much as a general rule, but when you’ve got Duvall hitting behind Votto and Suarez, it’s almost certainly going to matter at some point. That “small” decision to move him from 8th to 5th could ultimately cost the Reds a game because of that one at-bat.

• It’s more painful with Scooter and Winker on the bench. Hill is tougher historically on right handers.

• Yeah, I find it pretty hard to believe either of those guys would have struck out in that situation. It’s possible, but I’d certainly bet on either of them putting the ball in play. With Duvall I’d never make the bet.

10. Good job by Castillo there

11. I LOVE the bunt base hit there

12. HAVOC!!!!!

13. That’s 2 innings with legitimate scoring opportunities go to the wayside.

14. Have to be really patient against Hill as Joey and Eugenio did in the first.He will pitch himself into trouble and then you must be even more patient and not chase that curve out of the zone.If you chase he will expand the zone until you stop.He also pitches backwards in that he throws lots of curves.I believe we will get him though.

15. This is a very encouraging start by Castillo.

16. SUAREZ!!!!!!

17. How did Duvall make it to third?

18. Dodgers are a mess.

19. There goes the big inning…..

20. Yes, they scored, but a team has to take advantage of that kind of situation. That’s another inning they let Hill off the hook

21. No additional runs but still men to third every inning so far. That’s way more action than we’ve been seeing.

22. Yep, really coulda used a couple more runs
    ….

23. Your right Preach but Cruz is now the back up and well he is the back up.

24. Castillo looks good and his changeup is top drawer. But let the record show that his fastball is not in the high 90s like it was last year.

25. As much as I dislike Thom calling games, I dislike it even more when he attempts to be deep and sensitive.

• Was thinking the same sort of thing … I’m just so far “over” Thom being Thom and loving Thom’s voice.

26. That’s how you execute a squeeze! Fantastic speed on base, good bunter, just excellent fundamentals and strategy.

27. 8 ways to score from 3rd, or so I’m told.

28. This is fun baseball. Riggleman plays aggressive and plays to win now. Momentum is real.

29. Castillo looking very sharp. Lots of movement on the FB. Being aggressive in the zone

30. Joey got robbed a bit. Seems to me Angel Hernandez has one of the most inconsistent zones. For me, another clear case for the auto-bot called zone.

31. Danger Alert!! The Indians 22 game winning streak is in serious danger! Harvey’s New Wallbangers are unbeatable:)

32. Suarez likes those multi hit games

So do I!

33. Thom: “maybe I’m wrong on that.” Most. Unnecessary. Phrase. Ever.

34. Houdini Hill once again

35. That at bat Cruz may have been the worst AB I have seen all year.

36. Cruz cannot and will not every hit. Call up the next guy please! I thought Stuart Turner looked a little like Scott Rolen at the plate…..didn’t hit like him but looked like him and maybe had a chance to be decent w/the bat?

• If the backup catcher situation is our biggest problem offensively we’re in good shape

• Thats true….no real glaring holes right now. Billy is hitting some in the 9 hole. Duvall has been bad but Riggleman can platoon him vs lefties and they’ll be alright. He looks pretty good batting 8th! Blandino looks good off the bench. Its amazing how things can suddenly improve. This Harvey trade brought them some energy…plus LA is horrible right now!

I think the Reds just picked up a catcher named Tony Sanchez. 29 yrs old with a .257 career avg in the bigs. 144 atbats with 5 doubles and 4 HRs. Give him a shot!

37. Castillo has been getting some ropes hit in him this inning

38. The gun said 96 on that last FB. And then followed by 83 change.

39. Castillo is dealing. 8 Ks in 5 IP. He’s looking more and more like he did last year during these last few starts.

Otherwise, we really need to stop stranding baserunners. This 3-1 lead makes me nervous, with how Schebler changed the LAD 3-1 lead last night to a 4-3 deficit.

40. Well well this picture warms up I’m watching Die Hard. It’s my oldest sons favorite Christmas movie

My favorite is Goonies.

41. The last time the Reds won 6 games in a row was this time of year in 2013!! May 10-16 the Reds took 3 from the Brew Crew and 3 on the road in Miami. Arroyo, Bailey, and Leake put together 3 very good starts in a row. Let’s shoot for the 2012 streak of 10 wins in a row.

42. I dont mean to tell Votto how to hit, but when he commits to pulling that inside pitch, he crushes baseballs

43. He smoked that one for sure.

• I walked away during the pitching change, and missed it.

I feel a bit better with a 4 run lead, with Castillo still on the mound (though I could’ve done without the Suarez error …)

44. Kinda pulling for that Dodgers pitcher. Sounds like an underdog story. He pitched well the other day but Votto remembers and repays with vengeance! Better luck next time Vinditte.

45. Blandino has done a nice job in the utility position. He’s got a nice easy swing at the plate.

46. Last 3 starts Castillo is back being Castillo.He threw a few sliders today and well that may be just for show but it doesn’t hurt.

47. Cruz gets a hit.Baseball is just baseball.Hard to figure.

48. If the Reds can sweep a 4-game series in LA, you can bet that somewhere, Sparky will have a big grin on his face

49. You can tell Castillo has some confidence at the plate. Thats an rbi hit if its a little left or right of Puig. If a pitcher can hit a little bit and bunt it can make a big difference!

50. BTW, Ashley keep up the good work. You have to keep doing the pre game as long as the Reds are winning– it’s mandated!

51. That ball to Grandal should have been inside, and it ended up tailing all the way across the plate before being crushed.

Don’t mind the solo HRs. Good pitchers work around those.

52. It’s no news flash to anyone here how important good pitching is. The pitching in this five-game winning streak has given up 2, 1, 1, 2 and 3 runs. Today so far, only 2. The Dodgers are in a big funk, but they are still the defending NL champions.

The bullpen appears to be fixed after several poor years. Now consistency from the starting pitching is the missing piece from this being a decent if not good team.

• Problem is they need Garrett in the rotation (badly)…just to have a lefty that the manager can matchup with lefty leaning teams. More days off gives the manager a chance to do that as well. Hernandez is 33 today (Happy Bday) and Hughes will be 33 in July. Iggy will bring back the most in a trade. Decisions decisions!!

53. Oh boy….ok lets nip this rally in the bud!

54. I like giving Castillo a chance in the 7th. I also agree it was time for him to come out

• +1. Riggleman has been impressive! Fairly quick hook but he gives the young guys a shot as well.

• Yup. Give him a shot at going deeper but then call in the reinforcements before it gets out of hand. Castillo certainly looked good today regardless.

55. Amir puts out the fire! Nicely done.

56. Garrett not fooling around. Pumping fastballs up there.

57. Billy having a nice month of May so far.

58. 3 stolen bags for Billy today…on base 3 times also

59. Peraza needs to sit out a game for that lamebrain move.

60. Just when I am beginning to feel better about Peraza, he has an at bat like that!! What was he thinking?

61. As much as Votto is a student of the game, he just doesn’t ever look like he knows what he’s doing on the basepaths …

62. As I said a couple weeks ago, what the Reds need more than anything is a seminar on fundamental baseball strategy.

63. After getting behind 3-0 on Farmer, Amir comes back at 95, 96, and 97 to strike him out!! I like that guy!

64. Peraza Needs to know when not to throw. Power outage around my area. They said the power will be back by 930. Thank goodness for game day

65. Amir simply needs to be in the rotation. Guy has the size, stuff and competitive edge to be a solid starting pitcher.

66. My inner Pete Rose appreciates the nice +143 winner today:)

67. Lord it’s a miracle! Sweep the Trolley Dodgers in La … 1st time in decades!!

68. BROOMSTICK!!!

69. Don’t get too excited… Milwaukee won too – so we won’t pick up a game on them

70. In the last six games, the Reds have twice as many wins as they had under Price. They had one more win in LA alone than they had under Price. Riggleman has made some dumb moves (mostly having to do with Duvall), but I think he’s making a difference.

• Yeah, I don’t know if it’s Riggleman, or just that the pitching is starting to come around. Improved pitching is taking the pressure off the Reds’ hitters as well.