Last week I spent seven days out in Goodyear, Arizona watching the Cincinnati Reds play baseball on the backfields. For the most part, it was almost entirely the minor leaguers, but since it’s been my job to cover that aspect of the organization, it was time incredibly well spent.

Hunter Greene is an impressive, impressive dude. I was only able to see him pitch once while out in Arizona, but to say it was a good showing would be an understatement. You can watch the entire outing at this link if you’d like, and I’ve also got a scouting report written up at that link.

In the time since I last wrote this column the Reds placed infielder Dilson Herrera on waivers and he went unclaimed, so the team was able to outright him to Triple-A Louisville. It’s likely that you already saw that news. What that meant for me was that I had a chance to see him on the backfields working with the minor leaguers. He was taking some grounders at third base during infield practice, but he only played at second base during the games. What it was that I was left thinking to myself though, was how I can’t believe a team didn’t claim him. That guy can hit. He’s going to hit. And while I understand that you just don’t know how that shoulder is going to respond in the long run, I’m of the belief that the Reds lucked out that no one put in a claim on Herrera. How he fits into the Louisville lineup with all of the other talent is still up in the air, but I’m confident that he’s going to hit and he’s going to be a Major Leaguer again, and probably soon. Whether that’s with the Reds or another team is perhaps the bigger question.

The Reds haven’t exactly had a good recent history of producing big leaguers from Latin America. Heck, they’ve struggled to get a decent amount of their own signees into Double-A and Triple-A out of Latin America for quite a while. One of the things that stood out to me is just how many young Latin American guys they have with impressive tools at the lower levels. It’s a very long way from rookie-ball to the Major Leagues, and some of those guys will fall by the wayside along the way, but there’s an impressive group of guys that are under 21-years-old that could potentially change the struggles that the team has had in this market. Andy Sugilio is the guy who stood out to me the most. That shouldn’t be too surprising given that he hit .345 in Billings last season. But, being that I was the only place that even ranked him as a Top 30 Reds prospect this offseason, I’ll say that I felt a lot better after getting another in-person look at just how impressive he is.

1. “but there’s an impressive group of guys that are under 21-years-old…”

The Reds implement/enhance additional recruiting efforts a few years ago that brought in this group?

• Realistically, no. There was only one guy in camp that was what I would consider a big signing (more than $400,000), and that was Miguel Hernandez. Perhaps they changed something that I’m unaware of. Perhaps they just got lucky. Perhaps they just got better at identifying, and developing these guys in these areas. I’d like to think it’s not the lucky part.

2. Great info on Herrera.
    Any shortstops impress you? Rodriguez same???…all glove no hit?

3. Doug, thank you as always for all the great content here and at your site. It is all greatly appreciated.
    One thing that surprised met about the announcement that Senzel is going to be playing second base in Louisville is that it does not seem to leave anywhere for Herrera. Do you think he can play short? Wouldn’t that be harder on his shoulder?

Thanks again.

• Herrera can’t play short. I’m not entirely sure what they are going to do with him, and it’s one of the more interesting things as far as minor league stories go, at least from where I stand. They can use the DH at times, so I think that will happen for Herrera, but he’s going to need to get time at second or third, too. Maybe Senzel can DH every so often and you can get Herrera a few starts at second that way, just to keep him fresh at the position.

4. I’m interested in how Jeter Downs and Jose Garcia looked at SS, and if one or the other will get majority playing time there in Dayton.

• It sounded to me, from what I was told, that they will kind of split SS/2B duties, with both getting time at each spot.

5. Really good news about Herrera. Seems like a much better option than Gosselin if healthy.

6. Good stuff, Doug. I’m a big fan of MiLB even if I don’t get to my local games as much as I would like to. When we moved to North Carolina, the local AA (now an A+) was the Reds affiliate and I got to see Frazier and Cozy and Alonzo play.

We need to remember that, especially in the mid- to small-market that is Cincy, the minors are our future. You keeping tabs on them helps the rest of us see what might be at some point.

7. Great work Doug.
    Where do you see Dilson Herrera fitting in on a Reds team that will have Suarez at 3B, Senzel at 2B, and Peraza at SS? He may find it hard to get playing time at AAA Louisville. Half of his AB’s there will have to come as a DH.
    If Senzel is the Reds 2B almost present and the future, there is no room there at AAA and the ML level.
    If Schebler could play 1B, he does seem athletic enough to play there, the Yankees could be a possible trade partner now that Greg Bird is injured again for the Yankees. The guys that played 1B in Bird’s absence last year are no longer on the Yankees.
    Schebler and Herrera to NYY for SS Gleyber Torres and a P. Yankees could use some LH power for that short RF porch. Torres just seems to not have a spot with NY at SS and seemingly at 2B too. Yankees sent Torres to AAA to play 2B, not SS. Torres is a SS, not a 2B. Herrera is a 2B. Maybe the Yankees would be interested, but Schebler would have to be able to play 1B for it to work. And they certainly would be enticed by Schebler’s LH power that would play up in their stadium.

• I think the Yankees would laugh

• Agreed. The Yankees aren’t moving Torres for more than a proven All-Star kind of dude.

I also don’t think they would trade for someone to play first who has never played first.

8. I noticed yesterday the LHP Scott Moss pitched 5 shutout innings for the AA team (Pensacola) vs. the AAA team (Louisville).
    Is Scott Moss slated to start the season at Pensacola and skip A+ Daytona altogether? That will be a big development.
    Jesus Reyes pitched 5 shutout innings for the AAA squad. He was thought to be in line to start at AA. Did they just bump each pitcher up a level for the intersquad game, or are these the expected starting levels for both pitchers this season?
    What is your take on this?

• Assignments in minor league camp aren’t really that telling, especially for pitchers. I’d be very surprised is Scott Moss skipped over Advanced-A. I don’t recall the last time the Reds promoted someone in that kind of way.

9. The Reds slipped Herrera through waivers just after the NCAA brackets came out, figuring that everybody would be so wrapped up in filling out brackets that nobody would notice.

Figuring out where to play good young hitters is a good problem to have. To me, Adam Duvall is the obvious guy to be looking over his shoulder, as both Herrera and Senzel could play left field. And if Scooter Gennett falters even a little bit . . .

And it remains possible to use some of this depth to beef up shortstop or centerfield, although I don’t expect that until the trade deadline, and only then if Hamilton or Peraza don’t improve.

• I’m a big fan of Duvall; but, it is obvious he runs out of gas by the end of July. Based on his 1st half in both 2016 and 17, it is scary to think what sort of power numbers he might put up if his legs stayed strong under him for an entire season. He seems an obvious candidate to be dealt somewhere he could be the 1B or DH. But of course potential trading partners can see the quandary the Reds are in with 1B covered for 5 years very limited access to DH opportunities.

10. Doug, wondering if your comment concerning the impressive level of raw tools among the Reds young Latinos but seemingly very high washout rate with the same group was meant to infer the Reds might be missing a chance to do better here by developing a specialized program to better nurture these guys?

• No – just that I think they’ve got more talent from the LA ranks today than they’ve had in a long, long time.