[The Reds announced the final roster decisions. See new post.]
After the Reds announced they were sending Desmond Jennings and Sebastian Elizalde to the minor leagues, the number of players remaining in camp is 31. Homer Bailey and Anthony DeSclafani are two of those, that leaves 29. If Devin Mesoraco starts on the DL, that makes 28. They have to get down to 25 by Opening Day. Here’s the status of the roster.
Position Players (12)
This is all set.
- Two catchers: Tucker Barnhart and Stuart Turner
- Five infielders: Joey Votto, Jose Peraza, Zack Cozart, Eugenio Suarez and the newly acquired Scooter Gennett.
- Five outfielders: Adam Duvall, Billy Hamilton, Scott Schebler, Arismeldy Alacantra, Patrick Kivlehan
Hated to see them demote Jennings, who has an opt-out and is expected to leave the team rather than take an assignment to the minor leagues. Jennings was having a solid spring, showing flashes of power. He was the one guy who could play centerfield without looking like he was out of position. Losing him is a product of the decision to carry eight relievers instead of seven. That brings us to …
Here’s where decisions remain. If we assume three starters (Scott Feldman, Brandon Finnegan, Rookie Davis) and five relievers (Tony Cingrani, Blake Wood, Drew Storen, Raisel Iglesias, Michael Lorenzen) are set, that leaves this competition for the final choices:
- 2 starters from: Bronson Arroyo, Amir Garrett, Cody Reed, Robert Stephenson
- 3 relievers from: Barrett Astin, Austin Brice, Wandy Peralta, Nefi Ogando + above
My best guess at what the Reds will do: Arroyo and Reed start; Astin, Peralta and Stephenson relieve
What I would do if I were GM: Reed and Stephenson start; Astin, Peralta and Arroyo relieve
If the Reds put Cody Reed instead of Peralta in the bullpen because they say they need another LHP, I’ll pound my head on the desk. The club will say it’s just temporary. Tell that to Aroldis Chapman, Raisel Iglesias and Michael Lorenzen.
We’ll know soon.