There are just a couple of weeks left in the season. The Reds were bad, as we knew they would be, but they won’t be historically bad, so it wasn’t as awful as we feared.
But I’ll tell you, I had fun this season. The Reds weren’t supposed to be good, so there was no stress. At least for me. Because of that, I thought I might be nice to put together a list of things I enjoyed this season. Feel free to add yours below.
- Watching Joey Votto use his bat to tell the doubters to stick it – Seriously, his offensive numbers are exactly in line with his career averages. He’s such a marvel. If he got rid of the fielding/base running brain farts, he really would be perfect.
- Watching DeSclafani blossom – Check out this article from yesterday. We may have an ace, kids. And all he cost was a washed up Latos.
- Watching the kids in Louisville – I lost track of how many Bats games I went to this year, but I’m sure it was more than 30. And it was great. All those games explain why I’m a lot more optimistic about Cody Reed than others, for instance. Sure, he got knocked around, but that happens. He has the stuff. And then there’s Amir Garrett and Jose Peraza (who has been fulfilling his promise lately). And, of course, Jesse Winker, who is going to drive many of you nuts with his high OBP and minimal power (aside – Slugger Field plays big, I saw several balls that would have been out in GABP, but the wind almost always blows in off the river in Louisville).
- Eugenio Suarez in the second half – I wrote about this the other day, but those who’ve been paying attention know that I’ve been a Suarez believer since he came over in the Simon trade. There seemed to be too much talent and potential there. I feel like Suarez is finally hitting on all cylinders now that he’s adapted to 3B and won’t be surprised at all if he’s a .340 OBP/.440 SLG guy going forward. Those are excellent numbers for an infielder with a solid glove.
- The second half in general – It hasn’t been bad at all.
- Nick Senzel’s numbers – Seriously. I know it’s A-ball, but go look.
- Dreaming – In my mind, here’s what I can talk myself into in 2018:
1. Billy Hamilton 4 WAR
2. Jesse Winker 3.5 WAR
3. Joey Votto 5 WAR
4. Nick Senzel 4 WAR
5. Corner OF Bat 3 WAR
6. Eugenio Suarez 3.5 WAR
7. Jose Peraza 3 WAR
8. Catcher of Some Kind 2 WAR
I dunno about you, but I could stand to watch that team.
What about you? What did you enjoy this year?