Pitchers and catchers report to Goodyear two weeks from today, February 18. Plenty of eyes will be on Devin Mesoraco, to see with our own eyes that he’s fully recovered from his hip impingement surgery.
There are many interesting story lines on the pitching side, starting with charting the progress of Homer Bailey. If he says on schedule, Bailey will be back on a major league mound in May, boasting a new ulnar collateral ligament. Other fascinating questions are out there:
- Will Anthony DeSclafani and Raisel Iglesias continue their promising development as major league starters?
- Who will close games for the Reds? Does anyone beside J.J. Hoover and Jumbo Diaz have a realistic chance?
- Who will fill out the rest of the Reds starting rotation? Lefties John Lamb and Brandon Finnegan figure to be in the mix. How about Tony Cingrani, remember him? Where does Jon Moscot fit in?
- Will Michael Lorenzen end up as a starter or in the back-end of the bullpen?
- Which of the youngest guns, if any, will knock down the door to the major league clubhouse? Looking at Robert Stephenson, Cody Reed, Amir Garrett and Rookie Davis as possibilities. Beyond that?
- Will the Reds make any additional free agent signings, like a veteran starting pitcher or an experienced bullpen arm?
- Will 30-year-old Blake Wood, who the Reds signed to a major league contract, make the Opening Day roster?
What aspects of the Reds pitching staff will you be paying closest attention come February 18?