The rain came fast and furious in the 8th inning last night. The Reds and Cardinals were tied at two, so that means the game was suspended. The suspended game will be played at 12:30 PM, and the actual game that was supposed to be played at 1:10 will begin 40 minutes following the conclusion of the suspended game. The scheduled game on Saturday was Pete Rose bobble-head night, and the Reds will honor Pete in-between the two games.
Programming note: the conclusion of the first game will air on FOX Sports Ohio at 12:30. The second game (the regularly scheduled game) will air on FOX National, 40 minutes after the conclusion of the first game. FOX 19 will also be airing a pregame show at noon.
The two teams will pick up where they off last night, in the top of the 8th. The Cardinals have a runner (Pete Kozma) on first base with no outs. Yadier Molina is at the plate for the Cardinals. The Reds had J.J. Hoover in the game, and considering he only threw five pitches, Bryan Price may elected to just keep him in the game.
Here is Steve’s recap of last night. The Reds currently have a 43.0% chance of winning according to WPA.
|Cincinnati RedsÃ‚Â (58-81)||2||7||1|
|St. Louis CardinalsÃ‚Â (88-52)||2||10||2|
|CIN:Ã‚Â HooverÃ‚Â STL:Ã‚Â Lackey|
|FanGraphs Win ProbabilityÃ‚Â |Ã‚Â Box ScoreÃ‚Â ||
Lineups (order in which they will come up)
5. Yadier Molina (C)
6. Brandon Moss (1B)
7. Greg Garcia (2B)
8. Jon Jay (CF)
9. Pitchers Spot
1. Matt Carpenter (3B)
2. Stephen Piscotty (LF)
3. Jason Heyward (RF)
4. Pete Kozma (SS) *currently on first base
5. Todd Frazier (3B)
6. Eugenio Suarez (SS)
7. Adam Duvall (LF)
8. Ramon Cabrera (C)
9. J.J. Hoover (P)
1. Billy Hamilton (CF)
2. Jay Bruce (RF)
3. Joey Votto (1B)
4. Brandon Phillips (2B)
Reds: Michael Lorenzen, Brandon Finnegan, Skip Schumaker
Cardinals: Jhonny Peralta, John Lackey*, Cody Stanley**
*Lackey is still technically in the game, but assuredly will not stay in the game a day later.
**Cody Stanley was suspended 80 games by the MLB for PED’s. Stanley was the Cardinals third string catcher.
Cardinals C Cody Stanley suspended 80 games without pay after testing positive for performance-enhancing substance, effective immediately.
— MLB (@MLB) September 12, 2015
Biggest Plays of the Game (so far)
Here are the biggest plays of the game according to WPA (winning percentage added), and the percentage each play increased or decreased the Reds chances of winning:
- +12.6% – 2nd inning: Ramon Cabrera’s solo home run off John Lackey (Reds lead 2-1)
- +10.5% – 4th inning: Stephen Piscotty lined into a double play to end the inning
- +9.0% – 5th inning: Billy Hamilton’s leadoff double
- +7.3% – 1st inning: Brandon Phillips’ RBI single off John Lackey (Reds lead 1-0)
- -14.4% – 4th inning: Greg Garcia’s solo home run off Michael Lorenzen (game tied at 2)
- -9.6% – 5th inning: Brandon Phillips fouled out with runners on 1st & 3rd for the 2nd out of the inning
- -9.6% – 7th inning: Brandon Phillips struck out with runners on 2nd & 3rd to end the inning
- -7.8% – 5th inning: Todd Frazier struck out with runners on 2nd & 3rd to end the inning
- -7.0% – 8th inning: Jhonny Peralta reached on a error by Eugenio Suarez to leadoff the inning
Reds officiallyÃ‚Â eliminatedÃ‚Â in 2015
The Reds may not have lost yesterday, but the Cubs swept a doubleheader to officially eliminate the Reds from the postseason in 2015. There is always next year.
*note: there will be a full preview/game thread for the next game following the conclusion of the suspended game.