Cincinnati Reds 7
Colorado Rockies 2
WP: Latos (9-3, 4.17 ERA)
LP: Sanchez (0-2, 8.32 ERA)
• The Reds won their tenth game in a row, their longest winning streak since 1999. If the Harpers lose, and they’re now winning in the 11th inning, the Reds will have the best record (61-40) in the National League. Then, pending the results of the Yankees game against the Red Sox tonight (which, surprisingly, is on national TV), the Reds may end the day with the best record in all of baseball.
• The Reds stretched their division lead over the Pittsburgh Pirates, who lost to the Houston Astros, to three games. To top that off, the stupid Cubs beat the Cardinals, so the Reds lead over St. Louis is 7.5 games. The Reds return home to play a four-game series against the San Diego Padres. Edinson Volquez faces Mike Leake tomorrow night.
• After giving up a two-run homer to the second batter he faced, Mat Latos shut down the Rockies over eight full, giving up only four hits and three walks while striking out eight.
• The bats stayed hot in the absence of JoeyMVP. Drew Stubbs homered (12), drove in three runs, scored two runs, stole a base (21), walked and hit a sacrifice fly. Jay Bruce homered (20). Zack Cozart showed signs of breaking out of his slump, with two hits and two runs scored. Chris Heisey also had two hits and two runs. Miguel Cairo chipped in with two RBI, including a sacrifice fly. Ryan Hanigan doubled twice.
• Brandon Phillips left the game with what was described as a cramp. It looked like he might have tweaked his knee on a strong swing. They’ll have to ask Joey Votto how to treat it.
• One day after celebrating his 70th birthday, Reds radio broadcaster Marty “Baldy” Brennaman found himself in the place of having to back up his promise to shave his head if the Reds ever won ten games in a row this year. “This one belongs to the Reds and I’m going to shave my head absolutely bald.”
• Welcome to first-time commenter Abel.
• The Brewers bullpen is terrible, they should pitch for Houston.
TOP GAME THREAD COMMENTS
• eric nyc: If Latos can settle down we should be able to score plenty off of Sanchez.
• Ithedaug: We get on the team for Ludwick being out of the lineup while a slumping Bruce plays … let’s all recall for just a second the same complaints about running a needs-to-retire Rolen, a will-never-hit-better Stubbs, and a he’s-not-what-he-was Ludwick over the past few months. They’ve all contributed lately, and there’s hope they will continue to do so. Bruce has to have to chance to do the same ahead of the pennant race. It all isn’t working at once, and it never will, but it is working.
• Abel: The way everyone from Stubbs to Ludwick and now Heisey has been hitting on this road trip, it really makes it seem like trading for extra an extra bat is unnecessary. Have to keep in mind that we’ve faced some pretty bottom of the barrel pitching lately though.
• zippy: Don’t want to get ahead of things here, but if the Reds win and the Pirates lose, this has got to be rather demoralizing for them. Reds have been playing without Votto, mostly on the road, and Pirates will have lost ground while playing the Cubs and Astros.