Reds Trivia

Reds Trivia 5/27/08

April 30, 1904: Third baseman Harry Steinfeldt nearly perishes in an accident in his apartment. His life is saved by a 15-year old girl.

Steinfeldt was ill at his apartment at the Biedebach Hotel on Park Avenue in Walnut Hills, when he accidentally pulled down a gas chandelier. He was unable to cut off the gas flow and called for help. Almost unconscious and gasping for breath from the noxious fumes, Steinfeldt was dragged to the safety of the hallway by Mabel Biedebach, the 15 year old daughter of th owner of the hotel. Steinfeldt spent nearly a month at Deaconess Hospital before recovering from the ordeal.

All “Reds trivia” posts come from Greg Rhodes and John Snyder’s fabulous book, “Redleg Journal” (see link for purchasing) and are used with Greg’s permission.

Thanks again to Greg Rhodes for permission to use his material.