More on Adam Dunn

Well, the season is over, and we all know that the topic of conversation for the next month in Redsland is going to be Adam Dunn — at least, until his contract option is exercised (or not).

Yesterday, somewhat surprisingly, the Enquirer had an entire series of articles that seemed to be advocating Dunn’s return. I say that it was somewhat surprising, given that Dunn has taken way more than his fair share of criticism from the Cincinnati media, so it’s nice to see some coverage that was fairly positive toward the slugging left fielder.

Now, all of these articles were written by John Erardi, who is one of the bright lights of Cincinnati’s sports media, but the Enquirer printed them, so kudos to the paper.

I started to link these yesterday, but I decided to wait until today since it might be a good time to really delve into whether Dunn should return (the official position of Redleg Nation, of course, is that Dunn should definitely return next season). So here goes…

The first article talks about the controversy surrounding Dunn, and there is actually some praise of Dunn by radio announcers Marty Brennaman and Jeff Brantley. That’s noteworthy, as the second in this series of articles on Dunn is about those radio announcers, and how they’ve influenced the fans’ perception of the big guy.

Erardi also talks to a few folks about Dunn: our buddy Justin, from one of our favorite blogs, Greg Gajus, and former Mets GM Steve Phillips. All are interesting, but be sure to check out Gajus’ interview, in particular. It reads like I could have written it myself, as he makes many points we’ve been discussing here for a long time. I like the way Gajus thinks.

There is more stuff worth discussing here than I can quote, so I just encourage you to read all these articles and return to talk about it. Great job by Erardi and the Enquirer.

1. Bill says:

Chad, you are more impressed with these articles than I was. As I said in the comment section on Saturday, these were more about fans perceptions and expectations of Dunn than really about Dunn himself and why his option should be picked up.

The most interesting thing I see is that both Cincinnati papers and the DDN all did Dunn articles on the same weekend. I don’t know if he gave them access that he usually doesn’t or if they’re helping the team announce the picking up of Dunn’s option.

2. Chad says:

Aaah, but the fact that the Enquirer devoted significant column inches to a discussion of how Dunn is undervalued and how he’s been unfairly treated by the radio guys and how he is productive…that’s serious progress, in my opinion. I’m not sure what the distinction is that you are trying to make.

I think it’s great that the Enquirer printed this stuff.

3. Bill says:

I guess what I’m saying is that they didn’t make any effort to prove to the naysayers that he was worthwhile. They just allowed Marty, Tom, and Jeff to back off what they’ve been saying for most of the year (or for years in Marty’s case).

4. GregD says:

I don’t know that John’s point was to “prove to the naysayers” Dunn’s worth. The articles’ focus was why he is such a lightning rod. Basically pointing a finger at the radio booth.

I thought his interviews with Justin & Greg covered a little of Dunn being worth the option.

I don’t know why people think Dunn and/or Griffey are the reason why this team has lost so many seasons in a row. Just doesn’t make sense. The pitching (as a whole) has been so bad throughout the past 7 years that you’d have to have a Dunn at every position to hope to win more games than you lose.

5. ellis says:

Fire Marvin Lewis

6. DevilsAdvocate says:

Anyone see that game #163 tonight? How ’bout those Rockies!

7. Glenn says:

Admitedly, I have been on both sides of the fence regarding Adam Dunn. His strikeouts just kill me. That being said, he had a great year. The Reds will not be able to replace his production for $13mil. They just need to pay the man the money and hire a coach to help him with his defense.

8. Chris says:

His defense can definitely use improvement.

Comments are closed.