1. What would happen if an acid and a base were mixed up?
The Bullpen has failed to throw strikes, 50 walks to 66 K’s in 102 innings is not going to get it done. Weathers and Weber the Vet pickups have combined for a total of 20, add Joe Valentine in there and it goes up to 30 in 40 innings pitched. That’s 60% of the walks in only 40% of the relief appearances.
2. Hits hurt too.
Eric Milton - 1.3 Hits an Inning Paul Wilson - 1.3 Hits an Inning Brandon Claussen - 1.45 Hits an Inning Ramon Ortiz - 1.65 Hits an Inning Matt Belise - 1.1 Hits an Inning Aaron Harang - - .95 Hits an Inning
3. The Red pitchers have the worst BA against in the MLB .298 (the Yankees are at .297, who do you think will improve first?)
4. Jason LaRue has struck out once every 2.39 ab’s. The worst ratio for a qualifier was Rob Deer in 1987 with a K every 2.53 ab, before that the record was held by the legendary Dave Nicholson with one every 2.56 ab. Dunn averaged one every 2.9 last year.
5. 21.2% of Sean Caseys hits are of the extra base variety, Dunn 73%, Griffey 50%, Pena 80%, Lopez 50%, Freel 30%, Aurilia 47% and Kearns 44%.
So why is Casey batting 3rd every night?
6. Team Batting Splits
.245/.330/.428/.758 - Reds vs. RH's .264/.345/.423/.767 - Reds vs. LH's
7. The power of the walk and batting average.
Joe Randa’s Walks have dropped since May began but his BA has gone up, yet still his OB% has dropped 2 points!
In April Randa averaged a walk once every 5.44 ab’ (his career rate was 1/12.6)
In May he has one walk in 20 AB’s.
Joe Randa on May 1st – .268/.400/.476/.876
Joe Randa on May 8th – .286/.398/.480/.878
8. Milton’s HR last night was the first one from a Reds Pitcher since Graves in 2001.
In fact only 6 Reds pitchers have had HR’s since 1995 hand here they are.
HOMERUNS YEAR HR T1 John Smiley 1995 2 T1 Dave Burba 1996 2 T3 David Weathers 1998 1 T3 Pete Schourek 1997 1 T3 Pete Harnisch 2000 1 T3 Pete Harnisch 1999 1 T3 Danny Graves 2001 1 T3 Danny Graves 2000 1
9. Last night on ESPN Jon Miller said that Dunn hadn’t done anything yet this year.
.277/.424/.660/1.083 6th in MLB in OPS, 14th in OB%, 3rd in SLG%, 4th in HR, 3rd in 2b.
Yep he hasn’t done squat.
10. The 1982 team won 61 games and lost 101 games. After 30 games they were 13-17 – 7.0 games back and had scored 116 runs and gave up 115 runs. This years team after 30 games (18.25% of the season) is 11-19 – 8 games back and have scored 138 runs and gave up 178 run.