W: Latos (8-2)
L: Bonderman (1-3)
– The Reds’ victory coupled with the Pittsburgh’s loss pulls the Reds to within 3.5 games of the first place Pirates. It was the club’s 30th win at home. They scored 13 runs without benefit of a home run or sacrifice bunt.
– Substitutes Jack Hannahan and Cesar Izturis led the Reds scoring attack. Hannahan was 3-4 with two RBI and two runs scored. Izturis was 2-4 with three RBI.
– Jay Bruce, mired in “another one of his patented funks” (M. Brennaman) was 2-4, with a walk, three RBI and scored four runs.
– Shin-Soo Choo had two hits and a walk, Ryan Hanigan was 1-3 with two walks, and Mat Latos delivered a key, 2-out double driving in two runs.
– Despite some shaky moments, the bullpen added three innings to their streak of no earned runs given up on this homestand. Manny Parra has become Sean Marshall, except healthy.
– Mat Latos struck out 11 Mariners. Imagine his record without five blown saves.
– Mat Latos walked four Mariners and gave up six hits and four earned runs.
– Derrick Robinson had two misplays in left-field.
– The Reds won a game they were supposed to, in contrast to the previous night. For a few innings, Seattle looked like they were going to be pesky again, instead of the Mariners. Eventually the Reds got to starter Jeremy Bonderman. They play the rubber match tomorrow at 1:10.
– During the game it was announced that three Reds had made the All-Star team. Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips were voted by the fans to start for the National League and Aroldis Chapman was chosen for the pitching staff. Many are commenting about Jay Bruce missing out, but I’d add Shin-Soo Choo to that list. He’s having at least as good of an offensive season as Bruce.
– When you first saw the headline of this post, you probably though you were accidentally at The Onion. Seriously, it was great to see the bench players make major contributions when they were put in the starting lineup. They need to see the field occasionally to stay somewhat sharp.
TOP GAME THREAD COMMENTS (ironic and otherwise)
– renbutler: The Reds will be lucky to score 15 today with this lineup.
– rfay00: This team can’t hit with two outs and RISP.
– wildwestLV: Bruce. What a bum.
– Richard Fitch: The mighty 2 hole does it again. I’d put Votto there. 1. Choo 2. Votto 3. Phillips 4. Bruce.
– Mwv: Just remember this game the next time we play the Cards and I have to hear/read about clutch and hitting with runners in scoring position a gabillion times.