Cincinnati Reds 7
Stupid Chicago Cubs 9
WP: Raley (1-2, 7.63 ERA)
LP: Redmond (0-1, 10.80 ERA)
• The Reds (73-48) mounted a strong comeback from a six-run deficit. The split of the doubleheader leaves them 6.5 games ahead of the Irates and 7.5 ahead of the WLB.
• Ryan Ludwick continues to Ludwhack the ball. He now has 25 home runs and has been the hottest hitter on the planet since the All Star game. Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce each had two hits. Miguel Cairo had a pinch hit, stand-up triple.
• Sean Marshall pitched two filthy, overpowering innings of relief. His four strikeouts tonight give him 57 in 46 innings.
• The Reds sixth starter, Todd Redmond, didn’t come close to getting the job done. He struggled with his control every inning. He fielded poorly. The Reds need to have a better option than him for an emergency start the next time. Here’s hoping that’s not necessary.
• After doing a great job fielding at both first and third base, Super Todd Frazier ROY misplayed a couple of balls tonight. One was a throw to the wrong side of home which gave the Cubs a run. The second was misfielding a ground ball to his backhand side, allowing the Cubs to score two unearned runs in the sixth inning.
• Logan Ondrusek gave up a crucial, momentum-deflating insurance run in the top of the ninth. He’s now given up three home runs in his past five starts. His FIP is now 5.14, which is terrible, especially for a relief pitcher. He should never see a high-leverage situation.
• Devin Mesoraco continues to struggle at the plate. He went 0-4 and is hitting .209. He left five runners on base.
• A sellout crowd in the nightcap and another one tomorrow. The attendance surge continues even against teams that are well out of contention.
• The bullpen (other than Marshall) and the defense cost us this game. Todd Redmond may have put the Reds behind, but he wasn’t the main reason we lost this game.
TOP GAME THREAD COMMENTS (evening shift)
• Redgoggles: Wilson Valdez should not own a HR swing, yet it seems like he brings it out in the most inopportune times. Slap it and run please. Or bunt.
• Sergeant2: I think maybe those butterflies might be on amphetamines.
• BRM5: Watching this makes me really glad we haven’t had any starters injured this year.
• jessecuster44: Ondrusek… ugh.